- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Illy 10 is really handy to have around.

After trying several work-arounds with exporting symbols in a mixed Mac/Windoze environment to AICS2, I am adding AI10 to my workflow as a "symbol and text integrity" step.

I'll probably wait to see how ArcGIS 9.2 does before getting an old copy of Illy 10.

I don't think there will be many changes for exporting in 9.2 - but we can always cross our fingers...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MichaelG

MichaelG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Illy 10 is really handy to have around.

After trying several work-arounds with exporting symbols in a mixed Mac/Windoze environment to AICS2, I am adding AI10 to my workflow as a "symbol and text integrity" step.

I'll probably wait to see how ArcGIS 9.2 does before getting an old copy of Illy 10.

I don't think there will be many changes for exporting in 9.2 - but we can always cross our fingers...

There will be a big bunch of exporting fixes in 9.2. We fixed about ten font embedding bugs, and threw in other fixes like a correction for the overly-long underline problem.

For the record, we recommend exporting to PDF and EPS with Embed Fonts turned ON, and Convert Markers to Polygons turned OFF. Sorry if I misspoke at the User Conference and said Convert Markers ON! Definitely keep that bad boy off, since it traces font curves into straight segments, and redundantly draws the graphic definition for each marker, bloating the file significantly and making the files slow/difficult to open. There are also a couple of unfixable bugs with the convert markers to polygons routine (markers come out filled black), so stay away if you can.

In 9.1, if you export with the recommended settings (embedding ON, convert to polys OFF), and you still have problems opening the PDF, try this alternative workflow. Export to EPS, turn embedding ON, Convert OFF, and set PS Language Level to 2 instead of the default 3. If your source font is TrueType, it will be converted to Type 1, since PS lang level 2 does not support TrueType (PS Type42) fonts. This will create an EPS file that has many font problems filtered out, but retains true curves. The EPS file must then be converted to PDF with Acrobat Distiller, Illustrator, or something else.
Michael Grossman
ESRI

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Michael - that sounds really interesting, would you like to share some on the Illustrator exports... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->