benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I think there have been other threads on this, but I've played with all the export settings, and it doesn't make a difference.

Exporting directly to PDF from ArcMap 9.1, seemingly randomly, certain PDFs don't have the right symbology - switched colors, wrong symbols. It always looks fine on my computer. It seems like 75% of the time there is no issue, but 25% is a lot to be worried about!

I know that, for final results, I should export to AI, then fix up the text, then save to PDF in Illustrator. But I can't do that for every quickie/draft that I send out.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

can you print to a pdf printer? or print to postscript and distill (using ghostscript)? For the colors, could it be a RGB vs CMYK issue?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

If you have Acrobat Pro, try printing to PDF rather than exporting. I know there is someone that belongs to Cartotalk who may have a better answer ;)

Try sending a personal message to MichaelG

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Well I don't have Acrobat professional, but I do have three different free PDF printers (Virtual PDF, PrimoPDF, and PDF995) so I will try to print to them rather than export.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I export large extent maps on a daily basis with no problems. They very rarely have rasters in them, but do have very, very complex labeling going on and lots of vector layers. Rarely do I encounter problems. I used to export to AI, then go to pdf from there, but that was years ago when the export to pdf function in ArcMap was really bad, and those maps were for publication and had to look excellent. But as far as just shipping someone a quick pdf, I just export at 200 dpi (sometimes 300 for aerial photos, dems, etc), compress the vectors, and embed the fonts/symbols.

You say colors are "switched"? Could you provide some more details on the errors?

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

You say colors are "switched"? Could you provide some more details on the errors?

Well I haven't been able to reproduce them since they look fine on my screen :) Maybe I should ask the client to take a screenshot. They either report that the legend does not match the symbology in terms of colors/shapes, or if I have not included a legend, that my quick description of the symbology doesn't match what they see on the screen. Also, just yesterday I exported a map of Richmond VA and surrounding areas, and the outlined circle markers were messed up - the outline was bigger than the circle. In ArcMap, it looks fine, even when zooming in.

And these are all vector maps, with not many labels.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

So are you producing the pdfs and your client is printing them out? Or are they just viewing them on screen and "seeing" all of these weird things? Can you go to their office to see for yourself whats going on? If nothing else, I would get screenshots as you suggested.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

So are you producing the pdfs and your client is printing them out? Or are they just viewing them on screen and "seeing" all of these weird things? Can you go to their office to see for yourself whats going on? If nothing else, I would get screenshots as you suggested.

Good questions - I don't think they are printing them out, it's definitely "on screen" issues. I could get to their office, but its an hour train ride and a 20 min walk, and I already have a day job that's not this :) I am trying to get them to relocate the files they had issues with and take screenshots.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Could this be font issues perhaps? If there are problems with marker symbols, are you converting the markers symbols on export? Or are they perhaps using an older version of Acrobat Reader?

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Could this be font issues perhaps? If there are problems with marker symbols, are you converting the markers symbols on export? Or are they perhaps using an older version of Acrobat Reader?

The older version is definitely a possiblity, I had them upgrade after they first reported errors, but they still reported some differences after that. I have received reports of differences since stopping using "convert marker symbols to polygons".

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

The older version is definitely a possiblity, I had them upgrade after they first reported errors, but they still reported some differences after that. I have received reports of differences since stopping using "convert marker symbols to polygons".

It's interesting you notice a difference turning that off, as ESRI recommends you leave that choice on. (I have in my notes from a presentation at the user's conference).

Having said that - it might be a font issue. If you're using some of ESRI's markers, they are using ESRI's fonts. And, despite having the 'embed fonts' checked, not everything gets embedded. I've experienced problems with fonts not getting embedded in the past, and it sounds like a similar problem.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

My most annoying problem when exporting to PDF (AV ver. 8x and 9x) is the extension of the line in underlined legend title font, usually extending far to the right of the original text. Most of the time now I export to JPEG and create a PDF from that (and less worries about other symbologies not exporting correctly).

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Try converting marker symbols to polygons. Open your pdf up in Acrobat (Reader will work). Under Document, make sure "Use local fonts is unchecked". This should help you determine if its a font issue.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I know that, for final results, I should export to AI, then fix up the text, then save to PDF in Illustrator. But I can't do that for every quickie/draft that I send out.

If you have access to a copy of Illustrator 10. You can export direct to AI out of ArcMap and then open it up in Illy 10, select everything and convert fonts to outlines and then save to PDF. This process is really quick. I use it for every PDF map I make out of ArcMap so as to make sure I eliminate the font problems.

Illy 10 is really handy to have around.

Rich

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

If you have access to a copy of Illustrator 10. You can export direct to AI out of ArcMap and then open it up in Illy 10, select everything and convert fonts to outlines and then save to PDF. This process is really quick. I use it for every PDF map I make out of ArcMap so as to make sure I eliminate the font problems.

Illy 10 is really handy to have around.

Rich

That sounds like a really good idea. Right now I only have Illustrator CS2. But I did discover that when exporting to AI from ArcMap 9.1 and choosing "update" on the initial dialog box, even though the graphics/text layer displays as grey boxes, if I save as PDF with no corrections, the fonts show up normally, not as grey boxes. I don't even convert fonts to outlines. But I see what you mean about eliminating font problems.

I'll probably wait to see how ArcGIS 9.2 does before getting an old copy of Illy 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->