Photo

Reputable on-line payment options for clients?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

A client wants to pay on-line. Other than pay-pal, are there secure, low-fee services folks have experience with?

Most of the time I simply invoice, net30, which most always works out. Other than a once-in-a-blue-moon thing, I don't see the benefit of online payments (fees, percentages, security).

Thanks - Chris

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

A client wants to pay on-line. Other than pay-pal, are there secure, low-fee services folks have experience with?

Most of the time I simply invoice, net30, which most always works out. Other than a once-in-a-blue-moon thing, I don't see the benefit of online payments (fees, percentages, security).

Thanks - Chris

Paypal is pretty much the only one I would trust, and they hit you hard with fees.

I don't know about Italian banks, but I guess it would be more or less the same as Dutch. If you supply your client with the SWIFT and IBAN codes, as well as your account number and the bank name, they have all the information needed to transfer the money directly into your account. There will be fees involved though.

Whatever you do, don't take a check. The European banks are generally not really set up for them and you have to go through a lot of trouble (and again fees) to get it cashed.

As you've probabely gathered by now, it costs money to have money (or to give it to somebody else)...

Hope this helps...

-- edit --
Moved it to off-topic, I think it fits better here...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Thanks Hans - I am going with Paypal, since its a small project (budget) and a one-timer. Last week I received a check from a client directly, which was a surprise, so I walked it over to my bank here in Italy, and to my pleasure they deposited it with a 5 euro fee. I think the bank was in east-SF bay area. Of course it takes a few days to clear etc., but at least I didn't have to mail it back to the client!

bchubb

bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

A client wants to pay on-line.

I recently had a client offer to email money. I hadn't heard of this, but was pretty slick, though there are transaction limits and you require online banking.
From the Certapay website:

If you bank in Canada with BMO Bank of Montreal, CIBC, RBC Royal Bank, Scotiabank, or TD Canada Trust, you will be able to send the world's first, interbank-based Interac Email Money Transfers.

and an article here
Only in Canada :blink: ? ......and perhaps not yet practical for business or international transactions, but it might be worth watching in the future.

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Netherlands

and to my pleasure they deposited it with a 5 euro fee.

:blink:

I recently had to cash a $60 check here, which would have cost me 10 euro's and would have meant I'd have to mail it to my bank.

Hate to say it, but it seems Italy has its financial system working pretty well... ;)
Red Geographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I had a client from Poland, where PayPal was not available, and I had to rely on Western Union for payment. It was a bit of an inconvenience for me to go and collect from a Western Union office, but since the payments were coming from Kenya (the head office of his company) I didn't really have too many options.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

Another option is good old interbank transfer. Just provide the client with the Swift Code of your bank and a/c # to have the money deposited directly into your a/c. The fees depend on the network of both of your banks. Small ones usu. charge more as they have to transmit the money to an international bank first.

For Kenya, British banks tend to have a larger network.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Thanks travelbug. My contract clients and I have the interbank transfer set-up, so all I do is invoice. Next thing I am working on is toll-free # for my US clients to contact me at my office in Italy. I think I should be able to arrange something like a 866# that is routed to my cellphone.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks travelbug. My contract clients and I have the interbank transfer set-up, so all I do is invoice. Next thing I am working on is toll-free # for my US clients to contact me at my office in Italy. I think I should be able to arrange something like a 866# that is routed to my cellphone.

Perhaps Skype can be an alternative. Never used it myself (yet) to be honest, but I've heard good stories about it.
Red Geographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have used Skype quite a bit and can report that it works flawlessly with a good connection. I was in Taiwan for a week and called out to my home phone using Skype for a fraction of a penny per minute. Of course calling between 2 Skyped computers if free. I think even the Skype In fees are low.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Netherlands

Their fees seem to be a bit less than what my phone company is charging me, so I've been meaning to start using it for a while now...
Red Geographics

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

Skype has a service called "Skype In", which gives you a local number of your choice. While not excatly toll free, your clients will be charged a local call and you pay for the LD section to Italy.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Good information - thanks all. I am negotiating with a service now where a client can call from anywhere, cell/office/phone booth, using 800 number and reach my cell line in Europe - I anticipate this being a 'private' line - not published on my site, solely for existing clients, so every call I receive would be important to take, and well worth the expense.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I find it a bit odd that your existing clients can't be bothered to call an italian phone number - or is it that they are stuck behind coporate policies that ban/limit international calls? I would be a bit careful about having something that seems like an ordinary US 800 number and being alond (and not a call center) in a different time zone, it is easy for your clients to forget that.

On my last trip to North America, I had my office phone forwarding to my cell, and I forgot to turn on "flight mode" at night a few times, which lead to phone calls at odd hours (including wrong number calls)...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Its odd indeed - very odd. No, seriously, I don't look at it that way, frax. I see small cost and big PR benefits. My US clients do not complain about calling Europe (at least not to me), nor hesitate to call me, and I them. Its not even something I anticipate being used a lot; having a toll free line doesn't mean I expect more phone calls, but a silent appreciation from clients that I care about their bottom line (and to make working with me, being in Europe, at no cost to them). Maybe I should have a bigger ego or something. :P

My work schedule is already shifted to US east-coast time (6 hrs), meaning that I am available (email/phone) in the evenings, but do most of my 'work' during the day here. Hopefully I will start fitting into some European projects and have clients here too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->