• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

A striking view of England in the traffic light colours of red, green and amber is being launched today to highlight where the country's remaining areas of peace and quiet are to be found.

The Guardian & Campaign to Protect Rural England.

Attached File  england_web_330x373.gif   45KB   131 downloads

PDF version of map

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Interesting map.

This is a bit unrelated (or not...), but coming back from NACIS, I flew over downtown Liverpool in the wee hours of the local morning (5 am-ish) and was amazed by the sheer volume of light given off by the city.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

This is a bit unrelated (or not...), but coming back from NACIS, I flew over downtown Liverpool in the wee hours of the local morning (5 am-ish) and was amazed by the sheer volume of light given off by the city.

Probably not Hans, given this story - Energy-wasting Britons rank top for failing to see the light . Looks like the people of Liverpool just forgot to switch all their lights off before going to bed!! ;)

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Reminds me of a 4th of July, enroute to San Diego (for an ESRI UC), a couple of years ago. My flight out of Denver got delayed, so I flew over rural areas watching occasional firewords (nothing too big though, so it wasn't overly cool, just small flashes).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

bchubb

bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

I flew over rural areas watching occasional firewords

...were they because the flight was delayed? ;)

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I worked on a similar project with the Wilderness Society mapping remaining 'wild places' in the CONUS - the model was designed to be scale-relative, so depending on what scale you mapped at, the wildness was relative. Which makes sense, as I've been to a 'canyon' just off the busy streets of Los Angeles and it was silent and tranquil - no sight or sound of urban noise. So there are places just outside Liverpool or London that would also make ideal retreats. That said, I think the terminology used in the article plus the map's scale of analysis can be misleading and coarse "There are only a few really large areas of tranquillity left in England. " (i.e. tranquility is relative). Plus, mapping buffered roads as a surrogate for (you name it) can overestimate, especially when mapping 'tranquility' - if they had traffic volume (AAT) data - that would be better. Overall - glad to see the application to GIS in bringing attention to England's remaining open spaces. Another thing to consider (stop me now) is the cultural differences - in Italy, tranquility may be found in the regional park for most people - so an important pre-step is determining what defines 'tranquilty' and 'wildness'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->