• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Nina Frantzen

Nina Frantzen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello... I am new to the Netherlands and new to CartoTalk. Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I am living in the Netherlands for six months, considering moving back here. (I lived here for five years a long, long time ago.) I am a GIS analyst, love maps of all kinds, and I am trying to figure out where to get Dutch shape files for Gemeente and Postcodes boundaries, so that I can start making simple maps, and learning about the country, without paying a fortune! Tot ziens!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Nina,

Hello... I am new to the Netherlands and new to CartoTalk. Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I am living in the Netherlands for six months, considering moving back here. (I lived here for five years a long, long time ago.) I am a GIS analyst, love maps of all kinds, and I am trying to figure out where to get Dutch shape files for Gemeente and Postcodes boundaries, so that I can start making simple maps, and learning about the country, without paying a fortune! Tot ziens!

First of all, welcome to Cartotalk.

As for your data request, contact me privately (hans-at-redgeographics-dot-com) and I'll see what I can do for you. "Gemeente" boundaries should be free, postal codes depend on the amount of detail you want. 3-position is free, anything more detailed is not free.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk Nina!

I have often thought about moving to Europe at some point in my life, and I'm always considering the Netherlands since my great-grandparents are from there. How do you like it there, compared to Wisconsin?

Actually, I was wondering, if one of my grandparents were born there and then immigrated when they were young (5 years old maybe?), would that qualify me to apply as a dual-citizen in the EU... anyone know?

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Welcome to CartoTalk.

Been to the Netherlands .... 25 years ago....

Enjoy life in Europe. :)
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Actually, I was wondering, if one of my grandparents were born there and then immigrated when they were young (5 years old maybe?), would that qualify me to apply as a dual-citizen in the EU... anyone know?

I don't think so. In order to have a dual citizenship, I think you have to be born in a different country than your parents (or your parents have to be from different countries) and even then there's some strict rules. Truth be told, it looks like Europe wants to get rid of dual citizenship...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Welcome Nina! You don't happen to have any Swedish connection, your last name is quite common here.

Ben - it should be easy for you to look up the citizenship thing - but I would doubt that it would be possible, for most countries it is only for 2nd generation, and you would have to apply before the age of 18. Another option would be a work holiday visa (if Netherlands offer that, which I would guess they do)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Sorry Nina, not trying to hijack the thread here... :)

Hans and Hugo, I was thinking of Irish citizenship, which offers dual going back to grandparents born in the country. There is a nice summary of all the countries here - http://eucitizenship.blogspot.com/. And BTW wow is Netherlands restrictive :)

Nina Frantzen

Nina Frantzen

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello Nina,

First of all, welcome to Cartotalk.

As for your data request, contact me privately (hans-at-redgeographics-dot-com) and I'll see what I can do for you. "Gemeente" boundaries should be free, postal codes depend on the amount of detail you want. 3-position is free, anything more detailed is not free.

Thanks for this reply, Hans... I thought I would get an email when I received a reply so just looked at the site again today and saw 6 nice messages. (Thanks to all. No I'm not Swedish, yes I love living here. ) I will soon get around to individual replies and take a little time to understand this message system. Thanks again.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

I thought I would get an email when I received a reply

Nina, you can have email notifications for topics you participate in or start by going to
"My Controls" (to the left of "Logged in as:")
Options -> Email Settings (4th block down under Menu on left-hand side)
Check off the last option "Enable Email Notification by default?" and choose one of the options such as "Immediate Email Notification".

DonnaG

DonnaG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

Hello Nina,

It is good to see you on CartoTalk. You've met up with some good colleagues here!

We missed you yesterday at Milwaukee's GIS Day! (I think it is the first you've missed.)

It sounds like things are going well for you in the Netherlands. Best of luck in all your endeavors.

in fond friendship,
Donna G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->