• 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've been thinking about Practical Cartography Day at NACIS, about how it would be neat to have a themed presentation or two about different common probems in map representation, with lots of little collected ideas on how to solve. My currrent example in mind, showing one-way-ness in street mapping at different scales. We've tried a number different ways, and I'd be curious to hear others' ideas. Other questions we run into relating to road/street maps are:

How to heirarchize the roads: usage or official route type?
Cased vs non-cased roads? Show divided or not, and if so how?
What to do about too-dense areas: numbered call-outs (floating callout or boxed callout?), arrowed call-outs, superduper small type, just ignore smallest mews and courts?
Differentiating recreational areas: Golf vs park vs preserve?
Showing municipal county boundaries that coinide with road lines?

Do folks think this is a good idea? Maybe we could brainstorm at NACIS and start up afterwards...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I think that's a great idea. That's sort of what the little slide talks I used to do at NACIS were: looking through my map collection to find different ways to handle certain problems such as multilevel streets or line hierarchies.

But I'm unclear if you're proposing this as something for PCD in St Louis or for a CartoTalk discussion.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I think that's a great idea. That's sort of what the little slide talks I used to do at NACIS were: looking through my map collection to find different ways to handle certain problems such as multilevel streets or line hierarchies.

But I'm unclear if you're proposing this as something for PCD in St Louis or for a CartoTalk discussion.

I think it's ideal for CartoTalk. You can get little screen shots and post them and say "Well, here's one way I solved that..." Lots less work than powerpoint.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->