benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Obviously most people wouldn't consider framing a folding map... but I would like to frame the Rand McNally foldup map of New Jersey I just got. But it measures 25.5" by 36.5" or 37.5". Curious why that size, when a standard poster/print/frame size is 24"x36"? Is it just extra border/whitespace?

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

The finished size on a folded map is typically dictated by what will fit within the number of folds. With a sheet printed map the folding machine will create further limitations. The size of the folder bed pretty well limits you. In the case of web printed maps there is a little more flexibility but still hardware is a limiting factor overall. Rand used to print most all their maps in the plant in Versailles on a web, but that was a dozen years ago, there have been some changes since then I suspect.
Rick Dey

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

As Rick says, you design a folded map based on paper sheet size or what you want the finished map to be. I generally design in multiples of 4 x 9 inches, so the maps will fit in standard racks.

The idea of a "standard" size frame for things like posters is a pretty recent one.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

As Rick says, you design a folded map based on paper sheet size or what you want the finished map to be. I generally design in multiples of 4 x 9 inches, so the maps will fit in standard racks.

The idea of a "standard" size frame for things like posters is a pretty recent one.

But there are standard sheet sizes. I expect for a Rand road map of NJ the quantities would be such that you could efficiently order special sheet sizes from the mill (or print web), but in general we (Hedberg Maps) print to fit efficiently within a standard sheetfed press paper size. In the US, 28" x 40" is the largest sheet for most offset printers (there are more and more large-format presses out there, but 28" x 40" is still a standard). The printer needs at least an inch in the 28" dimension for "gripper" (where the press grabs the sheet as it moves through), and 1/2 minimum on the sides (the 40" dimension." If you are printing it to bleed, you need to subtract additional for trim. So the LARGEST we've ever printed on a 28" x 40" sheet (and it made the printers unhappy) was 27.1875" x 39". And that was with no bleed.

I think the standard of 24 x 36 for posters has been around for a while, but generally maps have not been built for poster use, or sold in the poster market, so it hasn't been on our radar screen so much. As Dennis indicates, sizing to fit a fold (especially for smaller sheets like 22 x 17 or 24 x 18) is more usual. For larger sheets we usually build rough imagery first, see what kind of sheet we want to use, then work backwards from there.

Smaller standard sheet sides for sheetfed paper include 19" x 25", 23" x 35", and 25" x 38"

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

A little more on paper sizes.
A reference that I pick up back in 2000... maybe outdated ...

Paper Sizes and Paper Weight:
Metric and US Standards

http://www.archivebu...com/aba006.html

Regards,
Chart

ahersch

ahersch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

A little more on paper sizes.
A reference that I pick up back in 2000... maybe outdated ...

Paper Sizes and Paper Weight:
Metric and US Standards

http://www.archivebu...com/aba006.html

Regards,

_______

Excellent and thanks for the info.
Now does anyone else have any more updated info on US sizes and weights?
Any info is greatly appreciated!

Fondly,

Adam Hersch
Burbank, CA

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->