19 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Much better - Its like NG material, or close!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Very nice map!

One suggestion for land outside China - whatever colors you go with how about using the same color in the little globe loocator/logo next to the title and in the main map? (nitpicky thing - why is Australia so dark in that little globe?)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Very nice indeed! Obviously a map with a *lot* of information. I'll need to have a closer (and longer) look to come up with any additional comments.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

WOW! Great looking map!

There's a nuclear PP in southern Guangdong. I'm squinting my eyes but I don't see any yellow there. May be the circle is just 2 small to notice on screen.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Beautiful map,
I would try using another tint for the surrounding countries...
Definitely an award winning map...

I've finally settled on a tint for the surrounding countries. It's similar to what's shown, the difference being that I followed everyones advice and dropped the saturation down a few notches on the other countries. It also prints lighter than what appears in the .jpg. The vast Western ocean no longer exists...thanks Martin.

looks very nice, quite a boatload of information on that one... Could you tell us a bit more about the process and the workflow? You mentioned two months - is that two months of full-time work?

It's taken me about a month and three weeks of full-time work. The majority of time (at least three weeks) was spent labeling the plants. I also spent a considerable amount of time re-working and dealing with corrupt files. Figuring out the best way to classify and symbolize everything also takes time.
As far as workflow, after geocoding the plants, I classified and aggregated the attribute data into "master classes" in Arcview. Creating a column of master classes makes it much easier when it comes time to apply styles in MaPublisher and Illustrator. Once the clasification process was finalized, it was just a matter of creating symbols and labeling....and more labeling! I save all of the inset work along with anything else that is placed in the master document until the very end, that way I can work with much lighter file. I come up with my overal color and classification schemes (on a basic level) before going into Illustrator, but I save the final tweaks until the end.

Erin, all I can say is I am super-impressed. That is one slickly designed map! I'd be interested in seeing a zoomed detail of an area with a ton of lines going from location names to plants. I can't imagine, even at the large print size, that someone could actually trace from a symbol to a plant name. But I have limited experience with large format maps.

Ben,
Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot. I'll post a zoomed-in detail when I get a few minutes. I'm hoping that most users will be able to trace each line to the proper plant. Although, with that many points, you can't design for everyones level of eyesight. It's a matter of finding a balance between making the type and points small enough so it's still readable and visible by most people, but not so big that the clutter reduces map readability. You also have to remember that everyone will use the map in a different way. Many users will simply look for general patterns across the map, rather than micro details. For users that can't find the point they want due to eyesight problems or design compromises, they can go to the table.

Very nice map!

One suggestion for land outside China - whatever colors you go with how about using the same color in the little globe loocator/logo next to the title and in the main map? (nitpicky thing - why is Australia so dark in that little globe?)

Good suggestion. I'll do it.

WOW! Great looking map!

There's a nuclear PP in southern Guangdong. I'm squinting my eyes but I don't see any yellow there. May be the circle is just 2 small to notice on screen.

Are you talking about the Yangjiang nuclear plant (in progress)? It's there and completely viewable on the printed map.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->