ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Here is a map I recently finished (unless I hear otherwise). Any feedback would be really helpful, escpecially concerning the color scheme. Is it too blue? Will the blue countries outside of China be interperted as ocean? Also, are the coal power plants, the red ones, to saturated?. FYI, the colors used to represent each type of plant are somewhat de-facto standards (i.e. Coal has to be shown as red...any red, et cetera). Also, I'm not at liberty to post a high resolution image. Image is at 72dpi.

Here is short description:
Title: The People's Republic of China, Power Plants
Map size: 36X58

1,669 power plants are shown across China sized by capacity and colored by primary fuel type. Each power plant is also shaped by its current status of either operating, planned, or operating w/planned expansion. Tabular data includes plant name, map location, primary fuel, company name, installed megawatts and projected megawatts. I've also included provinces, major cities and topography (I'm still not 100% certain I can justify topography on this map, although at 10% transparency I believe it doesnt conflict with the maps purpose (the powerplants). Any thoughts?

One more thing, I was a little unsure of how to label the insets, so I used the Province names of where "most" of the inset resides. Would a better approach be to use the name of the closest major city? or should I give a more broad locational description, North-east etc?
Attached File  China_Carto.jpg   596.73KB   380 downloads
Attached File  Legend.jpg   83.9KB   206 downloads

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Erin,

Is there a reason the neighboring countries are a shade of blue? Or is that just my LCD screen?

mg

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice work. I think it would useful to also upload a zoomed in screen shot so I can see some detail work too.
I would swap blue terrain for light light tan, or something along that line.

Very nice legend and organization. I think the topo is done in good taste and justified. I think if you were just showing a few things across entire China, I would keep the basemap a simple and non-distracting as possible, but you have plants all across the country, so its useful to see the major terrain features, and as it is, it far off in the background.

I would like to see the major rivers (and hydrodams?) more prominent though as these are, I imagine, a terrain feature closely tied to power generation.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Is there a reason the neighboring countries are a shade of blue? Or is that just my LCD screen?

The primary reason for trying a color like blue was to try something different than previous versions of this map. Your LCD works.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

The primary reason for trying a color like blue was to try something different than previous versions of this map. Your LCD works.

In which case I will say that the map looks wonderful except for the overwhelming effect of China being surrounded by a vast western Ocean. It is a bit too much...on screen at least.
will we be able to see a pinted version in Madison?

mg

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

In which case I will say that the map looks wonderful except for the overwhelming effect of China being surrounded by a vast western Ocean. It is a bit too much...on screen at least.
will we be able to see a pinted version in Madison?

Martin,
Thanks for good words. I'll take care of the overwhelming effect of the vast western ocean! Initially I was over-concerned by the sheer number of Coal (red) power plants on the map. My first reaction was to counter the "heat" with something "cool" and different. Thus the vast field of blue. Can you think of any way that the "blue" could work, or should I scrap it and go with a something more obvious and natural? Honestly, I'm fairly happy with how it prints, but as you know, after looking at a map for almost two months, it's easy to overlook huge areas outside of the primary focus. Could I make the blue work by adding grey?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Nice work. I think it would useful to also upload a zoomed in screen shot so I can see some detail work too.
I would swap blue terrain for light light tan, or something along that line.

Very nice legend and organization. I think the topo is done in good taste and justified. I think if you were just showing a few things across entire China, I would keep the basemap a simple and non-distracting as possible, but you have plants all across the country, so its useful to see the major terrain features, and as it is, it far off in the background.

I would like to see the major rivers (and hydrodams?) more prominent though as these are, I imagine, a terrain feature closely tied to power generation.

Chris,
Thanks for the comments. I'm working on a solution to the "blue". I'll look into adding in a nice rivers layer. I think it's necessary, especially if I want to justify the topo. I'll add a zoomed in screen shot shortly. Thanks, Chris. Erin.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Martin and Chris,
I've uploaded a new and modified pic. This is my last ditch effort to preserve my original "blue" color scheme which was too damn blue! I've added gray. Does this work (or something similar)? Or am I fooling myself!

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I find that much better with the grey added, I think it's quite obvious that it's land with fill.

My 2c's.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I didn't see the blue version, but this gray version works for me. the gray could be a tad lighter just because it covers so much space on the map.

Also, your title should be "People's" not "Peoples".

The area around Guangdong could benefit from an inset map. that area looks very dense and i think an inset would clean it up.

Overall, nicely done.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I didn't see the blue version, but this gray version works for me. the gray could be a tad lighter just because it covers so much space on the map.

Also, your title should be "People's" not "Peoples".

The area around Guangdong could benefit from an inset map. that area looks very dense and i think an inset would clean it up.

Overall, nicely done.

Thanks for the comments Mike. I'll change the title shortly. I posted a thread earlier in the day and have since been side-tracked and have not gotten around to it. Thanks for the reminder!

Yeah, the area around Guangdong probably could use an inset. The problem is, if you could see the printed version you would realize that about half of the map could be turned into an inset. Therefore, I opted to created insets in areas where labeling the points at the primary scale wasn't possible, and label everything else that I could.

I'm still messing around with the "gray" trying desperately to make it work. Cheers. Erin.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

Erin,

The grey/blue works much better but lighten it up, Mike is right, it is still too dark and it does cover a large amount of paper.

mg

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Beautiful map,
I would try using another tint for the surrounding countries...
Definitely an award winning map...
Chart

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

looks very nice, quite a boatload of information on that one... Could you tell us a bit more about the process and the workflow? You mentioned two months - is that two months of full-time work?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Erin, all I can say is I am super-impressed. That is one slickly designed map! I'd be interested in seeing a zoomed detail of an area with a ton of lines going from location names to plants. I can't imagine, even at the large print size, that someone could actually trace from a symbol to a plant name. But I have limited experience with large format maps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->