Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I'm having a hard time creating a 5 arc minute graticule for the globe.

It is a huge amount of grid cells I know. I'm running into memory issues when trying to do it with Manifold. Can anyone provide some advice on how to generate such a grid dataset ( not as a layout element) in Arc?

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

I was able to use Hawths Tools to do this in Arcmap.
Not sure why Manifold can't handle this huge...but relatively simple task.

mg

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

It is a huge amount of grid cells I know. I'm running into memory issues when trying to do it with Manifold. Can anyone provide some advice on how to generate such a grid dataset ( not as a layout element) in Arc?

You're talking about a raster grid, not a vector grid, right? To do anything with rasters in ArcGIS you usually need the 3D or Spatial Analyst tools. However, if you need to create a vector grid, both Hawths Tools and ET GeoWizards will create polyline or polygon grids with user-defined extents and cell size. These are free functions.

****edit
well, it looks like you found Hawths tools before I submited my post!

Manifold still has a ways to go in speed. Just yesterday I was smoothing out a 10m DEM with a focalmean function. It took about 3 hours to run with Manifold Surface Tools, and about 3 minutes to run with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst on a similar computer. While I'm grateful that Manifold is so cheap, I think we pay for that with time sometimes. It's getting better though.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

You're talking about a raster grid, not a vector grid, right? To do anything with rasters in ArcGIS you usually need the 3D or Spatial Analyst tools. However, if you need to create a vector grid, both Hawths Tools and ET GeoWizards will create polyline or polygon grids with user-defined extents and cell size. These are free functions.

****edit
well, it looks like you found Hawths tools before I submited my post!

Manifold still has a ways to go in speed. Just yesterday I was smoothing out a 10m DEM with a focalmean function. It took about 3 hours to run with Manifold Surface Tools, and about 3 minutes to run with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst on a similar computer. While I'm grateful that Manifold is so cheap, I think we pay for that with time sometimes. It's getting better though.

Manifold is a slug.

Vector Grid although maybe I shoudl consider doing this as a raster.

mg

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

this would have been very easy to create in GRID (ArcInfo workstation), which still is my processing environment of choice... Unless you needed attributes for the network/polylines. I have done a fair bit of processing with a 30 arc second resolution, then it can take some time...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

David Asbury

David Asbury

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Here's a script I found on ArcScripts that may do something similar to the Hawth's Tools function:

http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=12807

"This command allows you to create a new shapefile that is composed of many identical sized cells. The shapefile will look like a fishnet of square or rectangular cells. One common use is to create an index grid."

apparently it works in a similar way to the GENERATE:Fishnet option in ArcInfo.

David
David Asbury
GIS Analyst/Cartographer
Center for Ecosystem Management and Restoration
web: http://www.cemar.org

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

If you have spatial analyst, I think it would be reasonably easy to do what I would have done in GRID - Create a 5 minute raster, then just gridpoly it. I think these are available in some form in ArcToolbox.

Another way would be to create a GENERATE file (using for instance excel) and then just convert it to a coverage/shapefile.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have the WWF ecoregions dataset ( about 14,000 polygons) I am trying to calculate some statistics about how many of these 5' cells would fall within each polygon and how many would be split by polygon boundaries. Too me it seemed like a fairly simple vector problem, but it turns out to be a very huge dataset. I'm doing it with a raster grid now, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to answer the second question easily.

mg

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Sounds like you want to do a vector spatial intersection of WWF areas and 5" areas, where you could then easily determine whole 5" cells that are 100% within WWF areas and those that are <100% (e.g. split).

There are a few grid makers out there where you specify the bottom/left START coordinates then the cell size, then how many rows and columns you want, yet if this is a small scale analysis, these cells will not align with the actual 5" minutes of your small scale projection. I found a 10x10 degree graticule layer in ESRI library - you could use an Arcscript to split these cells pretty easily. Then intersect and summarize.

Chris

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have the WWF ecoregions dataset ( about 14,000 polygons) I am trying to calculate some statistics about how many of these 5' cells would fall within each polygon and how many would be split by polygon boundaries. Too me it seemed like a fairly simple vector problem, but it turns out to be a very huge dataset. I'm doing it with a raster grid now, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to answer the second question easily.

Sounds like something FME can do, although it will take quite some processing time. Want me to have a go at it?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

I have worked with that dataset (wwf ecoregions), and I don't know what scale it is at, but it seems incredibly detailed for global coverage, it is huge and I suspect that it has an uncessary amount of vertices in places... I have noticed that is very slow to display, especially on our ArcIMS (even when using ArcSDE)
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

On the vector side I am quite sure how to do the analysis problem is both Arc and Manifold choe on the data due to the size. I tried to thin out the graticule cells by deleting the non land (non intersecting) cells and it could select them find but crashes when trying to delete them. Manifold can't even open the data. It keeps returning some No Memory error.

Hans I've been looking at an FME license for a little while now, this may be a good time to download the demo to see if it would be useful to have around. I suspect it is. This is the kind of work in which a command line aapp will exceed since displauying so many vertices really slows down the machine but where you don't need to see what it going on to achieve the goals of the analysis.

mg

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Doing the task with AVenue scripting in AV3.x would be pretty fast I imagine - faster that Arcmap as VB code is more sluggish I found.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I tried to thin out the graticule cells by deleting the non land (non intersecting) cells and it could select them find but crashes when trying to delete them.

To weed out the cells you don't need in ArcGIS Desktop how about selecting the ones you want to keep and exporting just the selected features as new data?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

This is the kind of work in which a command line aapp will exceed since displauying so many vertices really slows down the machine but where you don't need to see what it going on to achieve the goals of the analysis.

If you don't need to see what's going on in ArcMap, you could just pause the display window, right? Or would that still not solve your issue? Trying to understand this problem for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->