benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Just noticed this, maybe common knowledge...

Had some trouble transferring PDFs to client, symbols weren't appearing correctly... figured out that I had to turn on the "embed fonts" and "convert symbols" options in ArcMap -> Export to PDF. This greatly increased the size of the PDF... 200% to 400% (300K to 800K, 1.4MB to 4.4MB). However, I've been zipping up the batches of maps I'm sending them, and before, without the options checked, the files compressed 1% or 2% (which makes sense for an efficient file format). Now that the two options are turned on and the file sizes are much bigger, ZIP-ing basically compresses them back to the size they were (50% to 60%) before the options were turned on.

Just thought that was useful knowledge in case people have issues with the extra large file size of the PDF with "embed fonts" and "convert symbols" on.

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

That is useful, thanks. It always amazed me how big ArcMap .pdfs are. Sometimes I would take the ArcMap .pdf into InDesign and re-export it to get a file that looks identical, but is an order of magnitude smaller.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

To make efficient PDFs out of ArcMap I always follow the same process.

I first export out of ArcMap to AI. (Symbols and fonts seem to export better to AI than to PDF)

I don't mess with embedding fonts and converting marker symbols to polygons (ArcMap does a horrible job at converting marker symbols to polygons. You get really jagged looking marker symbols.)

Then I bring the AI file in to Illustrator and do any editing I want to do to the file. Before saving the file to PDF I convert all of the fonts in the file to outlines Type>>Create Outlines.

I maintain two versions of the file. One as an AI file that I do all of my editing on and the PDF file with the fonts converted to outlines.

I then bring this PDF into Acrobat Professional and run it through the PDF optimizer (Advance>>PDF Optimizer)

Rich

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

To make efficient PDFs out of ArcMap I always follow the same process.

That's a great process for a few maps. Unfortunately, I'm working with 18 maps on this project! Anyway I'm keeping a copy of your process for future reference. Thanks!

MichaelG

MichaelG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

For PDF export from ArcMap, keep the Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons option off. It is the primary cause of the file size increase, and, as mentioned here, it looks bad. Embed Fonts on should be all you need to make the marker symbols come out.
Michael Grossman
ESRI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->