8 replies to this topic

rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

I'm working on a project that, and it has been requested that I put a certain symbol in certain land parcels (.ie a crown symbol at the centre of land owned by the government). I put togethor my basic layout in ArcMap, and then exported to Illy. I didn't realized that using Picture Marker Symbols in ArcMap would rasterize all layers below the Picture Marker symbols. My picture marker symbols are actually .emf files(which are vector), but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there any way to get my symbols into Illy? If I export as simple point symbols, then the rasterization doesn't occur - is there a way to replace the points with the .emf symbols in Illy? Or is there a way in ArcMap to make the marker symbol layer not rasterize everything below it?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I've never exported symbols from Arcmap, but thinking off the top of my head I would probably try copying and pasting the symbol into Illustrator and then either redraw the symbol with the bezier tool and save it as an Illustrator symbol... or bring the symbol into Illustrator and use the Live trace to recreate it, then convert to an Illustrator symbol. Once you have the symbol created you could then export the symbol library so you could use it in other Illy documents.

How complex is the symbol?

MichaelG

MichaelG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

I would try recreating that EMF. It is possible to inadvertantly have an EMF file that has raster inside. If it is actually a raster EMF, it won't be any different from a BMP when used in an ArcMap Picture Marker and you will see rasterization on output. Rasterization on output will occur only when the Picture symbol is sourced from a BMP or when it is sourced from an EMF with raster inside.
Michael Grossman
ESRI

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rob,
I sent you an email with instructions and a symbol file. In case you come here first, all you need to do in Illustrator is "File , Place" the graphic in an Illustrator document and then drag the graphic into the symbol pallet. You can then save the pallet and open it in other documents.

Although, if you're feeling ambitious you could still redraw the graphic if it's not as sharp as you want it to be. Erin.

rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Alright, here's a status update.

I've got two symbols I need to work with, both of which I managed to get Illustrator files for (One of them is rather simple). I have now made both of them into Illustrator symbols, and I can place the symbols in the map just fine.

In the export file, I've exported point symbols instead of Picture Marker symbols. Now I need to replace the point symbols from ArcMap with the Illustrator symbols. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to place every symbol by hand (I have several hundred of them). Here is an example:

Posted Image

In the image I have placed a few symbols, and the rest still need to be done. Each of the black squares needs to be replaced by the crappy green crown symbol. Each of the black triangles needs to be replaced by the CVR logo.

If there isn't an easy way to replace the points with symbols, is there a different workflow that would make this easier?

In case you haven't already figured it out, I'm rather new to Illustrator. Also, is there a way to change how Illustrator displays text. I don't like how far in I have to zoom to actually see the text and not just a grey box.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

If you navigate to the Adobe Studio exchange there are some scripts that do what you are looking for and links to script creators that have scripts to do this.

mg

rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Thanks everyone! I found a script called zamena (http://illustrator.h...vascript/zamena) That did exactly what I needed. It replaced all of the selected objects with the desired symbol. Now if I want to update the crappy green crown, they are already symbols so it will be much easier.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

In the image I have placed a few symbols, and the rest still need to be done. Each of the black squares needs to be replaced by the crappy green crown symbol. Each of the black triangles needs to be replaced by the CVR logo.

Select one of the black squares on your AI drawing
Select menu > Same > Symbol Instance
In the Symbol Palette select the crappy green crown symbol and then click on the little button that opens the palette menu > Replace Symbol

This may only work if both the black square and the green crown are both defined as symbols in AI
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Haven't used Arc much but these having come from Arc won't be defined as symbols will they?

Have prob thought of this but if you make your two symbols an independent fill colour which isn't used in your drawing you can place your new Illy symbol then select one instance of your Arc imported marker and use "select same fill colour" to select all instances then shift-select the symbol you placed and use zamena.

Same again for the other Arc imported marker which has to have a different fill colour.

That Zamena script is one of the most useful scripts I have found.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->