• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

scn

scn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I'm working on creating layouts in Illustrator with MAPublisher 6.2. I have two shapefiles imported, one of a river and its tributaries, and then for each trib I have waypoint data of bank failures (separate shapefiles for each trib). The waypoints come is as black dots linked with their info from ArcView, good so far... but then how do I change their color without losing the link to their map attributes? I need to be able to select all the points and change their color. This seems like a simple question but I can't figure it out, any tips?

Thanks,
Stephanie

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I'm working on creating layouts in Illustrator with MAPublisher 6.2. I have two shapefiles imported, one of a river and its tributaries, and then for each trib I have waypoint data of bank failures (separate shapefiles for each trib). The waypoints come is as black dots linked with their info from ArcView, good so far... but then how do I change their color without losing the link to their map attributes? I need to be able to select all the points and change their color. This seems like a simple question but I can't figure it out, any tips?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie,
When the points are imported into Illustrator they are given a default Symbol assigned by MaPublisher (a small black circle). If you want to change the symbol style for the entire layer do the following:

1. go to Window menu and open up the Symbols pallet.
2.You will see the small black circle at the top in the list of symbols.
3. Drag the circle symbol on to the artboard
4. With the symbol still selected, right mouse click it and select "Break link to Symbol" in the menu.
5. Make any change you want to the symbol.
6. Select the symbol after you've made all of your changes
7. Select the little arrow button on the right side of the Symbol pallet and select the "Redefine Symbol" option (make sure the symbol you've made changes to is selected. If you do this correctly you will see the symbol update with your new changes in the Symbol pallet. You should also see all of the points update with the new style. Hope this helps.

I recommend reading-up on the MaPublisher MAP Stylesheet pallet (listed under the Windows menu - MaPublisher palletes. It offers some great additional tools for working with and applying symbols in Illustrator. Erin

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Stephanie,

In addition to what Erin said, you can also create a new symbol on the artboard and drag it to the Symbols pallette. Then select all the points in the map and click on the symbol in the pallette. Of course you can also do this with one of the pre-defined symbols.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

scn

scn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the help! Finally a breakthrough.
Stephanie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->