- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I have been scanning (800 dpi) E-sized hand-drawn perspective landscape renderings from an architect and adding type then printing them out and coloring them based on simple landcover and I have run into a problem with two of the files. I have following the exact methodology for all of them, but I can't print (it's grayed out) or save as a pdf two of them from PS CS2.

The scanner spits-out a tif (bitmat) with a custom pixel aspect ratio that I then turn into an 8bit grayscale image with a square pixel aspect ratio. I then add type and have saved several as PDF's for scaling/printing in Acrobat except two files exhibit problems. The "save as.." command only gives me three choices (tiff, PS Raw, and Large Document Format) and in addition many other selections are grayed out (like print. export, etc.)

The inconsistency has me baffled and I didn't find anything in the PS forums. I've rasterized the fonts, changed color spaces, etc. and I am stumped.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I have been scanning (800 dpi) E-sized hand-drawn perspective landscape renderings from an architect and adding type then printing them out and coloring them based on simple landcover and I have run into a problem with two of the files. I have following the exact methodology for all of them, but I can't print (it's grayed out) or save as a pdf two of them from PS CS2.

The scanner spits-out a tif (bitmat) with a custom pixel aspect ratio that I then turn into an 8bit grayscale image with a square pixel aspect ratio. I then add type and have saved several as PDF's for scaling/printing in Acrobat except two files exhibit problems. The "save as.." command only gives me three choices (tiff, PS Raw, and Large Document Format) and in addition many other selections are grayed out (like print. export, etc.)

The inconsistency has me baffled and I didn't find anything in the PS forums. I've rasterized the fonts, changed color spaces, etc. and I am stumped.

Could some of the setting have been changed when you scanned so that it got scanned in as a 16bit image or something like this which would lead to limited options ( odd color mode???) Have you tried re-scanning the problem documents...how long does it take to redo this?...Probably not the best solution but at least you can figure our what you might of been done different. Is the problem found with the last 2 documents you did???

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Ah Ha!

After pulling most of my hair out I finally stumbled on the answer. In a desparate attemp, I tried copy/pasting to a new file and received the following error message.
Attached File  Picture_9.png   21.33KB   96 downloads

Sure enough the two files were 30100 pixels tall so I resampled to 29,999 and viola!

I had not come across the 30k problem before.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->