• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

sephe

sephe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Can anyone tell me how to work with annotation layers?

I have imported a road layer and its accompanying annotation layer. As far as I can tell, the tables have no common field by which the two can be joined, and the road layer table has no name field. The street names show up when I add the annotation layer, but they are so tiny as to be virtually invisible. I have tried changing the font size in layer properties, but it has no effect. How do you change the appearance of such a layer?

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

What software.

If Arcmap...does it help to change the reference scale?

Most annotations are created to work at a specific scale and do not scale up or down very well.

mg

sephe

sephe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

What software.

If Arcmap...does it help to change the reference scale?

Most annotations are created to work at a specific scale and do not scale up or down very well.

mg

Arcmap. Well, if I zoom way in, say 1:2000, they are obviously bigger. This does me no good though at the scale I need to display at though.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Have you set the reference scale in the Layer properties? Make sure you pick the correct unit, i.e. feet, and then experiment with 1:2000. For my recent work with streets in NYC, I believe I was using something like 1:40,000 feet with a label font size of 7 or 8 for streets.

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

You're going to need to check the reference scale of the annotation. All annotation in ArcMap is generated to a particular scale. Once it is generated at that scale, you cannot change the scale of the annotation.

The annotation is also not feature-linked. There is no relationship between the annotation itself, and the linework.

If the streets themselves have a label field, you can regenerate the annotation. You'll need to start by setting the map at the scale you want to be at. Next, create an annotation layer in a personal geodatabase. You will set this annotation layer to the scale that you need the annotation to be at.

Turn on the labels on the streets. Set the properties you need (color, size, font, etc). Then, convert your labels to annotation. Be sure you select the layer in the geodatabase that you just created. Also be sure to set that you want it to be feature-linked, if that's what you desire.

ArcMap will warn you if the annotation layer scale and the map scale are not the same. They will need to be the same for the conversion to work.

I'm doing this quickly from memory, but that should be the right process. I do it often enough (but don't use feature-linked annotation).
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

sephe

sephe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

If the streets themselves have a label field, you can regenerate the annotation.

Exactly the problem--the street layer does NOT have a name or label field. The annotation layer is the only thing I have with street names.

You're going to need to check the reference scale of the annotation.

How do you do this? I don't find it in layer properties.

Have you set the reference scale in the Layer properties? Make sure you pick the correct unit, i.e. feet, and then experiment with 1:2000. For my recent work with streets in NYC, I believe I was using something like 1:40,000 feet with a label font size of 7 or 8 for streets.

The scale of my map is around 1:150,000.

The layer properties for the annotation layer doesn't have a reference scale option.

It is possible to set the reference scale in the data frame properties, but I don't understand what that does. It doesn't seem to change my annotation anyway.

The annotation layer has the name annotation.igds if that helps any.

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Try setting the annotation's reference scale via the Annotation Groups dialog under Data Frame properties.

dn
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

sephe

sephe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Try setting the annotation's reference scale via the Annotation Groups dialog under Data Frame properties.

dn

OK, so I went to data frame properties, made a new group, opened the new annotation group properties, associated my annotation layer to it, and tried three different scales--1:2000, 1:45,000, and 1:150,000.

No effect on the size of the text in the annotation layer. Nothing.

I have also tried starting an edit session, selecting all from the layer, and using the annotation toolbar. Unfortunately, the toolbar remains greyed out. I noticed I can only select the layer for editing if it is in a geodatabase.

This is driving me batty. I just want to be able to label the streets, seems like such a small thing to ask.

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

Can anyone tell me how to work with annotation layers?

I have imported a road layer and its accompanying annotation layer. As far as I can tell, the tables have no common field by which the two can be joined, and the road layer table has no name field. The street names show up when I add the annotation layer, but they are so tiny as to be virtually invisible. I have tried changing the font size in layer properties, but it has no effect. How do you change the appearance of such a layer?

I am assuming you are working with personal geodatabase annoation? If so, the reference scale is permanently locked. Only the reference scale of map annotation can be changed. So that is a disadvantage to GDB anno. However, the cool thing about GDB anno is that all the text properties have read/write access through the attribute table. So if you want to universally rescale your text to be 3x bigger (or whatever), you can right-click on the FontSize attribute field, go into the Field Calculator, and enter "[FontSize]*3", and all your text is immediately 3x bigger than it's original size. It's not the best way to go about doing things, but will work in a pinch.

If you are working with coverage annotation, I don't really know what to do, especially if you don't have ArcInfo. Try converting the coverage to GDB would be the start.

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I believe that IGDS is a CAD format. In which case, you will probably have to re-size them in the original software (Microstation?) or try running them through FME.

sephe

sephe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all you help. Paul was on the right track. I used ArcToolbox to import coverage into GeoDB, then multiplied the fontsize field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->