johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Hello Cartographers!

I'm a near entry level GIS analyst working for a small natural resource department in rural Montana. I earned my bachelor's in Geography/GIS cert from University of Colorado Denver (where I'm from) after transferring from comp sci (they told me the jobs where drying up! ;)

I mainly deal with GIS data and try to crank out the best maps that ArcMap/time allows. I have the GIS efficient enough where I have some time to improve the cartographic quality of my maps and I am very excited about it! I stumbled across cartotalk after finding a [n excellent] shaded relief tutorial by Alpine Mapping Guild.

Talk about a gold mine! I am blown away by the knowledge and skill of the members here. I am looking forward to learning all I can, and hopefully contributing as well.

Glad to be aboard and thanks to the brilliant community on here! :D

-JohnnyH

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Hey Johnny,

I'm also a fellow Montana gis/cartographer/?? type. Good to see another member from this great state!

In case you are interested, MAGIP has a meeting coming up in Helena next month. http://www.magip.org/ I'm planning on heading over.

Paul

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hi Johnnyh, welcome aboard! You are one step ahead of me... I skipped out on comp sci and went to IT instead, where I am still currently employed. I'm slowly working towards getting a full time cartography/GIS position, it's probably going to take another year or two for me. Lucky for me, I've picked up a lot of database/Internet skills along the way. Anyway, it's nice to see another non-cartographer (like me) here, so I'm not the only one asking basic questions :)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk! I'm from Colorado as well, and I have family in Red Lodge MT.. Which part of the state are you working in?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

a small natural resource department in rural Montana

That could be nearly anywhere. Nearly the hole state is rural!

I grew-up in Missoula and think it's great to have more Montanan's on the board.

What/where are you mapping?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Wow, I'm surprised there are so many Montanans!

I'm working for CS&K Tribes, which is [ball park] 10 miles north of Missoula and up to about 60 miles south of Glacier.

Montana is a great state, but I do miss Colorado every so often ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->