6 replies to this topic

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I think this is easy. I would like to make a line have a 45 degree hatched pattern to it, like the attached screenshot from ArcMap. I use this for mapping federal lands, and want to put the hatched pattern on the inside edge of the polygon, layered under a solid line on the outside of the polygon edge. Any ideas? Apply a pattern somehow to the line maybe??

Attached Files

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I think this is easy. I would like to make a line have a 45 degree hatched pattern to it, like the attached screenshot from ArcMap. I use this for mapping federal lands, and want to put the hatched pattern on the inside edge of the polygon, layered under a solid line on the outside of the polygon edge. Any ideas? Apply a pattern somehow to the line maybe??

Clone your line, make it thick (6pt) and offset it so that the bottom edge of both lines line up. Convert the thick line to a polygon using outline stroke. Send to back. Give it no stroke but fill it with a hatch pattern. You now have the original line on the bottom edge and a hatch filled fat line behind it.
You may have to create the hatch pattern yourself.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Sounds good, but I am struggling with how to make a hatch pattern.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Draw one short line with the pen tool at a 45 degree angle. You can set the angle in the Preferences (smart guides and rulers, I believe). Hold down the shift key to conform to the 45 degree angle. Next, copy the line however many times to create your hatch symbol. From here, you can select the new hatch graphic and create either a swatch or a brush that can be applied to your polygon. If you want to create a brush, open the brush pallete, select the graphic and click the new brush symbol. Do the same for a swatch, only use the swatch pallete. E.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Draw one short line with the pen tool at a 45 degree angle. You can set the angle in the Preferences (smart guides and rulers, I believe). Hold down the shift key to conform to the 45 degree angle. Next, copy the line however many times to create your hatch symbol. From here, you can select the new hatch graphic and create either a swatch or a brush that can be applied to your polygon. If you want to create a brush, open the brush pallete, select the graphic and click the new brush symbol. Do the same for a swatch, only use the swatch pallete. E.

Even easier is to make it vertical and to transform the pattern at any angle using rotate with only the pattern option checked.

mg

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Even easier is to make it vertical and to transform the pattern at any angle using rotate with only the pattern option checked.
mg

Easier indeed!

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Martin, thanks, your advice did it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users