• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

We just had elections on Sunday in Sweden, and now we are getting a right-coalition government. But right in Sweden doesn't mean that value-conservative, more market-liberal. People were tired of having the same prime minister for some ten years (one of the longest ruling governments in Europe for quite some time). I was working for the city of Stockholm, counting votes until about 11 pm Sunday night (we had quite low turnout in that district, my wife worked until past 1 in the morning...)

I can't find that Sweden map that I saw in the paper, but here is what people voted in the city of Stockholm, for the municipal elections. I live in district 451, which voted red (for the green, social democrat and left party). Right click and choose zoom to look more closely. (Stockholm will also get a shift in municipal government, to a right-coalition)

The interesting thing is what they are going to do with the results from the referendum on congestion charges in Stockholm. We have had those as a trial run in the spring, and there was a referendum on if they should be kept or not. The city of Stockholm voted yes!, while the neighboring municipalities voted a clear no!.

Sweden is, by the way, one of the very few countries that have chose to run municipal, county and parliament elections at the same time. This ensures that the turnout is decent overall, but the local issues gets kind of overshadowed...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

How could you forget to mention the PIRATE PARTY?!? :blink: (well there's no pirate smiley... but there should be!).

http://www.wired.com...ml?tw=rss.index

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I didn't mention the new feminist party either (which I find much more interesting), or the right-wing extremists. Or the "leaner EU party" (junilistan). Or the retired-people's party. Or the student and youth-party... Or the unique party (headed by a topless model and former big brother participant.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Yea but what country _doesn't_ have all those parties... including ones headed by topless models! ;) But the Pirate Party?! In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Heck yes! I'd vote for you."

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

;) But the Pirate Party?!

Yarrr, and yesterday being Talk Like a Pirate Day, ye salty sea dogs!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->