• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

My hand has started to bother me a bit, not from moving the mouse, but from clicking. After a few days straight of 'click-intensive' work, my forefinger as well as my forearm get kinda tired and little sore. Are foot pedals an option?

Right now, I have a spare mouse place under my foot braced against my chair, and along with my Logitech ball mouse, it seems to be working alright, just a little cumbersome on the double clicks. Actually feels a little more accurate since I don't have to worry about clicking the mouse under my hand while I try to position something.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I have done quite a bit of personal research on ergonomics (the non-marketing word is biomechanics), alternative input devices, etc... feel free to contact me. What I will post is that many problems can be avoided by proper stretching, but body structure can dictate susceptibility to certain repetitive stress injuries. I once thought I was getting carpal tunnel, and implemented some daily tennis ball grip/squeezes and the pain went away. Be sure to check out about.com, they have some great graphics, and I was most surprised to learn that the keyboard should be at a negative incline...

http://ergonomics.ab...puter_setup.htm
http://ergonomics.ab...ntstretches.htm

Another suggestion too, learn some keyboard shortcuts and some command line and try to offload some click-tasks to keyboard/command line.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I've been thinking for some months of trying foot pedals. Seems like it could improve my productivity when drawing. Here's what I've been looking at:

Kinesis Ergo Savant-Elite
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->