5 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I posted this on the ESRI board but have not recieved any interest, and thought some of the more proficient GIS minds that mingle and lurk around here might know the answer.

Is a spatial adjustment performed on a shapefile a permanent edit to the file or just how it is aligned in a specific mxd/instance? In none of the documentation is this address as far I as I can tell. Sometimes when it is treated as the vector version of georeffing, I'd tend to think it is permament, esspically since it is an action in an edit session and those edits need to be saved.

On the otherhand, I can't see altering the spatial accuracy of a dataset just to match it to another for one use.

The lack of clarity on long term data impacts in the ESRI material is a little disheartening. Can anyone shed additional light on this?

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

The spatial adjustment to a shapefile is performed within and editing session in ArcMap and is a permanent edit to the shapefile.

More info on this can be found here:

http://www.umich.edu...reek Coords.htm

Rich

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Is that because spatial coordinates can always be transformed back? Meaning, if I transformed from coord sys 1 -> coord sys 2, then back to coord sys 1, I would end up with the same numbers I started with?

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

You should be able to transform the data back and forth. Using the Spatial Adjustment tool bar you are adjusting the data to whatever the coordinate system of your current data frame is.

I just played around a little bit and exported a county polygon to UTM Zone 14N. I then deleted the projection file so that ArcMap wouldn't know how to project it on the fly. Then I brought it in and lined up with the counties that had their coordinates set to State Plane Feet Central Texas Zone. The spatial adjustment toolbar allowed them to line up perfectly.

What are you trying to do? If you know the current coordinate system of the data you are trying to spatially adjust you should be able to use ArcMap's project on the fly functionality to do this easily.

Rich

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

What are you trying to do?

I have a 30 cm air photo that has more accurate georeferencing than some parcel boundaries, and I was wanting to move the parcels about 10m SW but just for that one instance to they lined up better. I didn't want to edit the whole file permanently. Thanks for answering my original question. Obviously the software, ARCVIEW 9.0, can't do want I wanted.

Does manifold allow for this type of one time non-permanent tweaking?

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have a 30 cm air photo that has more accurate georeferencing than some parcel boundaries, and I was wanting to move the parcels about 10m SW but just for that one instance to they lined up better. I didn't want to edit the whole file permanently. Thanks for answering my original question. Obviously the software, ARCVIEW 9.0, can't do want I wanted.

Does manifold allow for this type of one time non-permanent tweaking?

You could make a copy of just the portion of your parcel database that overlaps your 30 cm imagery and do the spatial adjustment on the copy.

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->