ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Has anyone else noticed how much memory and time it can suddenly take to open up an Illy document that opened in 5-10 seconds five minutes prior (with-out making any changes what-so-ever)? What's going on? I'm working on 40mb file with no linked images (I had two tabels linked, but have since removed them), I save with no compression (which should mean a faster open time, correct?) and I don't save a PDF compatible file. I'm baffled. When the file does open (after a long two minutes of waiting and sweating) it works fine. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for this crazyness? It's stressing me out. I keep waiting for the file to corrupt....or maybe it already has?? I'm also working off my local drive. Oh, I'm also getting an error from MaPublisher ("The program must close")....or something like that, right before the file actually opens and works. This message doesnt really concern me, because I've been seeing this sort of error message since upgrading to the most recent version of MaPublisher. Not sure what that's about. Any ideas? or should I chalk it down to bad luck?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've run into some weird behaviour as well with Illustrator CS2 and the new MAPublisher 7. Unexplainable at the moment.

Have you tried reducing your feature count and the max number of vertices per feature (apparently Illustrator gets really nasty when that's over 10.000)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

is it possible to turn off MaPublisher and any other extensions? Or try to open the same file with illy on another machine?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I've run into some weird behaviour as well with Illustrator CS2 and the new MAPublisher 7. Unexplainable at the moment.

Have you tried reducing your feature count and the max number of vertices per feature (apparently Illustrator gets really nasty when that's over 10.000)

Hans,
Reducing the number of vertices is one of the first steps I take when I create a new document. The strange this is, I didnt change anything at all. The file went from opening in 5-10 seconds to over a minute. Also, if I go into the task manager while the file is opening, in the "Mem Usage" column under "Processes:, it shows that it's taking over a 1gb of memory to open the file...more like 1.4gb. Once it actually opens, the number drops down to around 120,000k. Beyond that, the only visible change is the Avenza error box that pops-up right before the document opens:

"MAPublisher:Unknown Error. We recommed that you backup your work and restart the application. Please contact Avenza for Additional Support."

Over the past month or so I've become so accustomed to seeing this error box that I ignore it.

I have the feeling the weird behavior has something to do with how Illustrator handles linked files. I originally had two linked tables and have since removed them. Perhaps the linking mechanism is glitchy and doesnt truly break the link? Maybe it embeds the files in the document or something strange like that? That would explain why it takes so much memory to open the thing up. If this isnt case, I suspect it might the interaction between Illustrator symbols and MAPublishers stylesheet. But this is only a wild guess.

is it possible to turn off MaPublisher and any other extensions? Or try to open the same file with illy on another machine?

Frax,
That's a good question. I'm not sure if the extensions can be turned on or off...and all of our machines that have Illy also have MaPublisher. I think the file linking mechanism in Illy is faulty (see previous response).

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

You might want to check what type of files the links are. I've seen that PDFs can take a long time to render, PSDs seem to go pretty fast.. I don't have access to my work computer right now or I'd run some checks on the different formats. Granted though if they opened quickly in the past there shouldn't be any reason for them to be substantially slower now. I'm sure you've tried a save as to help clear out the undo backlog.
Rick Dey

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Rick,
I was able to find a back-up of the file before I removed the linked files and it works just fine. From what I can tell, the problem was created when I deleted the linked Illustrator files. Maybe I shouldnt be linking to Illustrator files in the first place? Or maybe I forgot to save those placed Illustrator files with PDF compatabilty turned on, and the problem started? I don't know. There's also the possibility that the file was corrupt and the placed files had nothing to do with it. I think as a new general rule, I won't insert any placed images until the project is almost complete.

I had no idea that a save-as would clear the undo back-log. Thanks for the tip, Rick! Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->