7 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

This is a bit off the mapping topic but I was hoping someone here may know or have thoughts on the subject. I want to know how he did this:

http://www.urbanrevi...ives/000833.php

He's taking a picture of a community, then creating what it could look like. I'm thinking he does this in photoshop where he has a library of pre-designed elements and he simply puts them into the exisiting image, scales them, and changes perspective in order to create the output. Thanks in advance for your input!

Eric

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Wow!

Yes, I think it's all photoshop work. Some stuff (people, trees, trash bins etc) could be existing images placed in there in the right perspective. The real skill here comes in making it look authentic, which I think it does. Check the tree-shadow on the car in the foreground.

Would love to see a hi-res version of this.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

This is a bit off the mapping topic but I was hoping someone here may know or have thoughts on the subject.  I want to know how he did this:

http://www.urbanrevi...ives/000833.php
I'm thinking he does this in photoshop where he has a library of pre-designed elements and he simply puts them into the exisiting image, scales them, and changes perspective in order to create the output.  Thanks in advance for your input!

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This looks like Photoshop to me....really great P-shop work!

Read this...

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the link. I am going to start messing around in PS and seeing if I can create anything even remotely close to it. Thanks

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Thanks for the link.  I am going to start messing around in PS and seeing if I can create anything even remotely close to it.  Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck! :) My brother is a Landscape Architecture major over at ASU... he gets assignments like this for classes. I'm sure the students never produce anything as quality as the link, but I'm also sure they get a CD-ROM library of finished images with different lighting and stuff.

For serious PSers, take a look at fark.com (they have PS contests). They should like to some more serious PS contest sites as well.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think Photoshop is used for the final composition of objects created in other 3D modeling software. It looks like he used Form Z for modeling.

For our design visualization services we hire Newlands & Co. He primarily uses 3D Studio Max for renderings and not only creates static images, but also great animations. They can be so photorealistic it looks like a video.

There are links (streaming Flash or WMV) to lots of examples on his website. In addition he wrote about the process he uses to create Photo-Simulations in Seven Steps.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

well, I'd like to play with it too, but these guys have got it down, bless 'em!

I think UA could be a great resource for many of us - I could definitely market their services to some of my clients

e

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

the Landscape Arch guy at my firm does these really well. for himat least, it's all photoshop, no 3d render compositing. lotta blending, color balancing, faking shadows, etc... and they do have a library of random objects that they pull from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->