Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I had planned on getting my reservation about 3 weeks ago but due to some health issues I got sidelined and forgot. This morning I managed to get reservations Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the conference hotel but will be looking for an alternative for the remaining nights.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I had planned on getting my reservation about 3 weeks ago but due to some health issues I got sidelined and forgot. This morning I managed to get reservations Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the conference hotel but will be looking for an alternative for the remaining nights.

I'm in the Holiday Inn on John Nolen Drive, about 2 miles from the conference hotel, but the rates are similar to the NACIS rate at the conference hotel. It's also one of the few ones that had rooms available within a not-too-large distance...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Inn on the Park is full! Ended up at the overflow Radisson hotel a few miles away.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Hans,

The Holiday Inn is also where I ended up for Thursday and Friday Nights. It looks as though it may be walkable depending on the weather.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Netherlands

Rick,

I got the impression it's on the other end of a bridge or causeway across the lake. Not sure how that would go for pedestrians. In terms of distance it's doable, although I prefer to be at the conference site on time. Since I'm not a morning person, I'm afraid it may very well mean 'taxi' for me... ;)
Red Geographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I made it into the Inn at the Park except for Friday night - then I was able to find a room at the Madison Concourse and Governor's Club just a few blocks away. When I called on the phone they stated they had a two-night minimum, but I was able to reserve just one night over the internet. When I told them about the discrepancy in policy - they simply stated that if I was able to reserve a room for one night over the internet it was guaranteed. I think it cost ~$125 and looks like a nice place.

What is going on that weekend besides the conference that would fill-up all the rooms in town? Is it the Purdue game or something else?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Netherlands

There was a trip planned to Devil's Lake SP on Saturday, but that's been cancelled due to lack of interested people. I'm now trying to put this together as a smaller trip (basically, renting a car and trying to find people who'd want to join me and share the cost of the rental car), so if anybody is interested, contact me privately and we'll work it out.
Red Geographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The Holiday Inn . . . looks as though it may be walkable depending on the weather.

It's only about 2000m from the Inn on the Park, and most of the route is along the bike/jogging path. Bus 13 makes the connection in about 15 minutes. During rush hours, buses 11 & 12 also run along John Nolen Drive.

Conference registration is the biggest since Portland, Oregon, and we're still three weeks out.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

DonnaG

DonnaG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

There was a trip planned to Devil's Lake SP on Saturday, but that's been cancelled due to lack of interested people. I'm now trying to put this together as a smaller trip (basically, renting a car and trying to find people who'd want to join me and share the cost of the rental car), so if anybody is interested, contact me privately and we'll work it out.

Hans,

The hiking is great. (I personally prefer the west bluff over the east bluff.) The autumn color should be at its peak during NACIS. There is also the possibility of rock climbing so you might want to ask some of the rock climbing types. (I'm trying to remember if Alex T. is a rock climber.) Were you able to get a list of those who had signed up?

An alternate field trip you might consider is Taliesin (architect Frank Lloyd Wright) in nearby Spring Green. http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/ I don't think you can do both in the same day.

Donna

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Netherlands

Were you able to get a list of those who had signed up?

Yes, but so far I haven't had any replies. I may still decide to go on my own as I won't be flying out of Madison until Sunday morning... But of course it'd be nicer to go with a group.
Red Geographics

DonnaG

DonnaG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

A friend who is very familiar with Madison sends the following suggestions for those who still need rooms:

The Lowell Center
610 Langdon St. (Langdon & Francis, 1 block off State St.)
608-256-2621

Memorial Union
800 Langdon Street
608-262-1583

Union South
608-263-2600
608-263-2543

www.union.wisc.edu/guestrooms

Memorial Union is about two blocks further then the Lowell Center & harder
to book rooms there. Still walkable to the Inn.

I am unfamiliar with Union South. I did drive by it on my last trip but
was unable to find parking to go explore. Another trip, perhaps. This is
not within walking distance to the Inn.

(another used to be called Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel but they changed the name &
I cannot remember to what)
525 West Johnson St.
608-251-5511

Within walking distance to the Inn.

Good luck folks!
I'll see you there.
Donna

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

that's what you get for procrastinating the hotel booking... I spent quite some time now searching for all kinds of hotels in the downtown area (using google maps, the recommendations here and the NACIS page). Seems to be full in a lot of places, or too expensive. The Radisson hotel was available, but I would prefer to be closer to downtown.

Anyways, I got the University Inn (which was mentioned here at some point, but I think that might have gotten lost in the latest cartotalk rebirth), which is very reasonably priced, and close to the centre, but doesn't sound like the most exciting place (from recommendations off web-sites...).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I checked the Union and Union South when we first learned the Inn on the Park was full. They had no rooms available for the full span of the conference.

Remember that NACIS will provide shuttles from the Radisson to the Inn on the Park.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->