Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Madison, like other small cities, can be pricey to fly into. If you can trade time for money, consider flying into one of the Chicago airports.

Shuttle buses run frequently from Chicago O'Hare and Midway airports (and Amtrak Union Station) to the UW-Madison campus; see vangalderbus.com. O'Hare has better connections, but Midway is a major base for Southwest Airlines. It's about a 3.5-hour trip from O'Hare to Madison. Van Galder buses arrive at the UW Memorial Union, several blocks from Inn on the Park, but the hotel offers complimentary shuttle service; call 608-285-8000 for pickup.

Shuttle buses also run frequently from the Milwaukee airport to downtown Madison; check badgerbus.com.

Anyone arriving into Chicago Tuesday afternoon is welcome to ride up with me. Call me and we'll work it out.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Madison, like other small cities, can be pricey to fly into.  If you can trade time for money, consider flying into one of the Chicago airports.

Just my little piece, my parents just recently did this... traded time for money and flew into Chicago, and although they weren't headed for Madison, they did expect a 3-5 hour shuttle to their destination. On the way out of Chicago, they got a nice comfortable tour bus, no problems there. But on the way back, they were stuck in the back of a 12-person industrial van with a college sports team. And that "shuttle" had to make stops all over the place. Add in Chicago traffic (apparently bad?) and it added an extra hour or two to their already long shuttle time. In the end, they wished they had flown directly to their destination.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Anyone arriving into Chicago Tuesday afternoon is welcome to ride up with me. Call me and we'll work it out.

Hmmm... I just booked me a flight to Madison on Tuesday, with a stopover in Chicago... I'll be coming in from Toronto, where I'll be spending the weekend... I wonder if I can cancel that second leg <_<
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Hmmm... I just booked me a flight to Madison on Tuesday, with a stopover in Chicago... I'll be coming in from Toronto, where I'll be spending the weekend... I wonder if I can cancel that second leg <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful with this. Don't attempt to just leave the airport in Chicago and not continue on to Madison. It is my understanding that airlines will cancel the rest of your itinerary if you do this.

Rich

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Be careful with this.  Don't attempt to just leave the airport in Chicago and not continue on to Madison.  It is my understanding that airlines will cancel the rest of your itinerary if you do this.

Rich

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I booked the flights from Amsterdam to Toronto and from Madison back to Amsterdam, with a totally different airline :D Anyway, I would have gone the official way (try and cancel with the airline), if I would have done it. However, the way I book my tickets usually leaves no room for itinerary changes...
Red Geographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice! Toronto is my hometown. Make sure you catch the sights and sounds that happens on Yonge St - day and night. :) The entertainment district is fun as well, plenty of bars and restaurants to try. Since it will be mid-Oct when you are there, bring a jacket, it can get a little cool and may rain.

I'm just flying in straight to Madison.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Mike,

I've been to Toronto twice before, so I know what to expect... Sam The Record Man on Yonge Street is high on my list of places to visit ;) I'll be staying with a friend who has an appartment right by City Hall, couldn't be more perfect :)
Red Geographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I haven't booked my trip yet (due to other related things), but I think I will be coming from Toronto as well!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

There is a coupe of used Bookstores worth checking out in T.O. One usually has some well priced copies of the 3 vol. Historical Atlas of Canada. ( You can find them through the ABE web site).

For music check out Rotate This on Queen St and for comic books The Beguiling (http://www.beguiling.com/home.htm).

I get to fly in thru St. Louis....but then again my flight was only $251.00

mg

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I'm actually not sure if I'll spend that much time in Toronto, we are going to a wedding somewhere in the area and I think we will mostly be staying with family in the london-ingersoll area and maybe we'll go to ottawa
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I'm actually not sure if I'll spend that much time in Toronto, we are going to a wedding somewhere in the area and I think we will mostly be staying with family in the london-ingersoll area and maybe we'll go to ottawa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

London-Ingersoll is just less than 2 hrs west of Toronto, so it's a little far for a day trip.

Sam the Record Man should be a landmark there. haha... it's been there forever. If anybody is visiting downtown, definitely check out www.toronto.com to get more info on some sights and sounds. LOTS of great restaurants too. That's one of my favourite things about T.O.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I got a cheap ticket from the East Coast to Madison via Detroit. Now let's just hope Northwest Airlines stays in business until after NACIS.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I managed to get a very cheap fare from San Francisco through Chicago going out on Tuesday and returning on Saturday. Using those days helped to bring down the cost. I booked a month ago however and I'm sure those rates are not available now. Now however due to recent health issues I need to get the ok from my doctor to go, but it looks like I should still be able to make it.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Now let's just hope Northwest Airlines stays in business until after NACIS.

Hear hear... they're the ones taking me back home, via Detroit... (although the Detroit-Amsterdam leg could be a KLM flight)
Red Geographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The conference hotel (Inn on the Park) is sold out, or nearly so. Friday they released another six rooms, but they'll go quickly.

NACIS has arranged a block of $99 rooms at the Radisson Madison, but that's four miles away. We will run some kind of shuttle service from the Radisson to the Inn on the Park.

We'll keep the latest info posted on the NACIS website.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->