5 replies to this topic

mcolella

mcolella

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi,
I'm looking for a nice looking streets layer that already has all the major and minor roads detailed with different colors, line width, labels, etc. I'm using the trial version of ArcGIS 9, and i have the TIGER streets layer but would like something more visually appealing. I need this only for one county (Maricopa, AZ). Any suggestions on where to obtain something like this?

Thanks,
MIke

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Mike,
The simplest solution would be to classify the streets yourself by applying a thematic to the roads layer....then create labels. Most publicly available street layers are going to come bare-bones with no labels and a default thematic that you will want to change anyways.

You can apply a thematic by right clicking on the roads layer...go to Symbology, under Categories select Unique values...select the field that contains the street types "Value Field" and then Add all values. At that point you could change the stroke and fill for each road class. You will also notice that ArcMap has defaults for most road classes already made.

If you anticipate working with a lot of street data in the future, and you're planning on picking up an Arcview (ArcGIS) license, you could always go ahead and get the street data they offer. MapInfo also offers a street data set that is thematized.

Also, give it a few days...there may be somone around here who can give you exactly what you need. The weekends tend to be a little quite.

Oh, BTW...welcome to the forum!

MWFrost

MWFrost

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Streetmap ™ data ships with the ArcGIS data DVDs these days. The associated layer files have already been classified and labeled, and provide a decent place to start. Have you checked that out yet?

gorillamap

gorillamap

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Have you tired contacting Maricopa County? Looking at their website, it looks like Eric Feldman (602-506-8736) is the contact for their street centerline file. I can't tell if they charge for the data (which I think is a horrible practice for government agencies) or if it's free...
Mike Pesses
Antelope Valley College
http://avconline.avc.edu/mpesses

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

There is the ESRI dataset (if you are using ArcMap it has layers preset with color coding and labeling by type for quick and dirty map) or there are private companies ($$$, and $$$$) that sell refined and updated transportation lines.

Depending on your map's use, decide which data source is appropriate.

Chris

terravista

terravista

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I'm looking for a nice looking streets layer that already has all the major and minor roads detailed with different colors, line width, labels, etc. I'm using the trial version of ArcGIS 9, and i have the TIGER streets layer but would like something more visually appealing. I need this only for one county (Maricopa, AZ). Any suggestions on where to obtain something like this?

Thanks,
MIke

Mike,
I'm doing a similar project with TIGER road files. Arc has a style file called 'Transportation' that you can enable from the Style Manager. It contains symbology based on TIGER CFCC codes. It may not be the most graphically appealing but give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->