• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

On one of my computers Illustrator has started freezing up on me. Whenever I save, or even go to change my preferences, it freezes up. I just started using Illustrator on this particular computer, but the past few days I've had no trouble with it, and now, its useless. Any ideas? It's a AMD Dual core 3800 with a gig of ram. Doesn't seem to matter if there are any other programs running.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I can't comment on any software issues, but always good measure:

1. Reboot (I'm sure you've tried this)
2. Run a RAM manager (yes even with 1 gig :D) such as FreeRAM XP Pro
3. Check for corrupt file

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

try to delete all defaults (or move them to a temporary backup directory). I think this is the presets directory under the Illustrator install folder -- check the Illustrator forums for more info...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Well, I tried removing the defaults, but that didn't work (thanks for the link to Adobe Forums). And I uninstalled and then reinstalled it but it still freezes up...

This is the first problem I've had with Illustrator. Man this really annoys me, I don't know what else to do.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Adobe support?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

What version of Illustrator is it? CS2? When was it originally installed, and how long was the license good for? If you are really dedicated, you could uninstall, and then run a registry cleaner and search for leftover Illustrator keys in Windows Registry which may be causing the freezing. Also, did you just install any recent Windows Updates? Try uninstalling a few of the most recent.

Either way, both of those solutions I haven't had to use for years.. but it's worth a shot if nothing else works.

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United States

What version of Illustrator is it? CS2? When was it originally installed, and how long was the license good for? If you are really dedicated, you could uninstall, and then run a registry cleaner and search for leftover Illustrator keys in Windows Registry which may be causing the freezing. Also, did you just install any recent Windows Updates? Try uninstalling a few of the most recent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's CS2, I installed it less than a week ago. I've had CS2 for less than a year, so if there is a limit to the license, I'd assume its still good. It's still working good on my other machine though (the slower one with a only one 18" monitor).

I'm in the middle of cleaning out the registry, if that doesn't work, I'lll try installing in safe mode, then, I'll try installing CS and hopefully that'll work and at least give me functionality on this comp.

Thanks for the help.

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United States

It only freezes when I go to save or change preferences, otherwise it functions fine, even the 3D tools. But if you can't save, no point in using it.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Preferences? Check this page out...

http://www.adobe.com...ocs/324053.html

To re-create the Illustrator preferences file:

1. Quit Illustrator.

2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) located in Documents and Settings\ [user profile] \Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version] Settings.

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn't the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I faced a similar problem. After a number of hit and trials, I save documents with the Illustrator window covering half the screen, not maximized. And it works and I really don't know why. Just try this.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United States

I faced a similar problem. After a number of hit and trials, I save documents with the Illustrator window covering half the screen, not maximized. And it works and I really don't know why. Just try this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that I think about it, Illustrator was acting funny when I would maximize the screen, and document would sometimes disapear, and only reapper when I would change the view (forget what it's called) by hitting the f key. Maybe it has something to due with the display driver or something...

Thanks for the idea, I'll try that tomorrow morning. As of now, I installed Illustrator CS and that works fine...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->