Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone,

I have another question regarding my Mr. Rainier glacier map. I am doing this in Illustrator, but could jump to Photoshop if need be. I have a shaded relief background and then an overlay shapefile of glaciers which are white, with a transparancy of 80%. The problem is that the shaded relief doesn't show well enough behind the glaciers, and if I turn up the opacity then the glaciers aren't pronounced enough. I thought , okay, I'll just mulitply the layers together, but the white completely disappears, which doesn't surprise me since the values are all zero. Does anyone know of a blending mode or another method that will accomplish white glaciers with a descernable shaded relief behind? I've tried the multidirectional oblique-weighted shaded relief, but that doesn't work for this map.
I've also clipped out a shaded relief with the outline of the glaciers and exaggerated the z factor, but that doesn't look good either.

Thanks for any help.

Anne

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Photoshop.

Have a glaicer mask and an Hue/Saturation adjustement layer and modify the DEM colouring and have another duplicate of the glacier in white in overlay mode on top of that to reduce and modify the effect.

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks. I'll try it immediately.

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks. I'll try it immediately.

Well, after a long time trying to make this work, I now know that my very simplistic use of Photoshop isn't taking me where to go. So, I am asking Alpine Mapping Guild if they can be more specific (sorry for the ignorance). In the below, there are these layers from bottom to top. The mountain (bottom layer)
the glacier mask (layer 2), a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (layer three) and a duplicate of the glacier
on top (layer 4). This should be easy, but I can't make it work.

Any advice?? Thank you in advance!

Have a glaicer mask and an Hue/Saturation adjustement layer and modify the DEM colouring and have another duplicate of the glacier in white in overlay mode on top of that to reduce and modify the effect.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Anne,

In response to your initial problem in Illustrator: Multiply is just like math, so that multiplying by 0 (white is 0% of any color) produces 0. The Screen blending mode is the opposite, and works like multiply but with white (or other light colors).

If you add a thin non-transparent (or less transparent) white border around your glaciers it will help to make the subtle differences more apparent (see Edward Tufte).

You can have different level of transparency, and different blending modes, for the stroke and fill of the same object by using the Appearence palette, and selecting just the Fill or Stroke and applying individual settings.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->