kikos

kikos

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Latvia

Hi,

Situation:
We have made map exported to Illustrator CS2 from ArcMap (via AI format for vector art and EMF for texts).
After many manipulations there is situation where I can't do anything real with this file - map is not so complex but file is huge.
Initially file was created on WinXP machine and when it slows down, job was transfered to Mac G5. Savings were without PDF compatibility. No placed bitmaps. No brushes, styles.

File is about 150MB. I've leaved in job only one text layer. File is 72MB. I've copied/pasted artwork in new file. After saving it is 2,5MB (without compression).
From 72MB file I've deleted ALL elements. After saving it is 70MB.
What is in this file? Document info says - NOTHING! No lines, no text, no fonts...
And on my WinXP machine I can't open this 70MB file...

Can anyone explain this mistery?

Gvido

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

likely swatches, symbols, and/or styles I would guess (remember that this are included with the file).

A standard way to peek at files that won't open (or open with errors) are to place them into a new document -- have you tried that... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I would "save a copy" just to verify that PDF compatibility is turned off. Then follow Frax's advice and remove all symbols and styles that aren't being used.

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

We have made map exported to Illustrator CS2 from ArcMap (via AI format for vector art and EMF for texts).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couple things I would check here and a couple things to know about the .AI export from ArcMap.

1) ArcMap does not export to Illustrator CS2 format, it exports to Illustrator 3 format.
2) ArcMap always exports an artboard size of 18 by 18 inches. You will need to reset this in Illustrator under Document Settings to the actual size of your map in ArcMap.
3) When exporting to Illustrator, you MUST turn off all transparencies and rasters. Transparencies cause ArcMap to rasterize all layers including and below the layer with the transparency. Re-apply transparencies in Illustrator. Rasters need to be exported separately from vector line work or you will get the strips of raster crap that bloat the AI file. I usually turn off all vectors and export raster one layer at a time and manually bring them into Illustrator. If you use the same layout at the vectors they should snap right in.
4) If your page size is greater than 45 inches in any direction, the export gets REALLY flaky. This is due to a limitation in the PDF language ESRI uses.

-Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->