24 replies to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

And the map gallery is open to anyone - it is (usually) a room dedicated to nacite's maps. Bring whatever you want to show, and we'll set up posterboard to attach them to. You don't have to babysit your work - it isn't a formal poster session - you're expected to post it and leave. It will be up for a few days, and the room becomes a general meeting place, or place to hang out and talk about maps... within the broader context of NACIS being a place to hang out and talk about maps...
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Map gallery maps are often swapped as well which is a good way to get some new maps.

mg

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

A bit off topic, but a question related to NACIS nonetheless.  I am a new NACIS member and have never attended an annual conference. 

I'm one of the new guys who is planning on attending this year. I'll probably feel guilty for sucking so much info, yet providing so little in return. Guess the first, second and third rounds will be on me. ;)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Guess the first, second and third rounds will be on me.  ;)

Sounds fair. If it's ok by you, I'll just go ahead and place my order now so it's waiting for me (nice and cold) when I get there at 12:00 on the first day. Here we go:

How bout a Bombay Saphire gin and tonic for the first round followed by two Negra Modelos (extra frosty and don't forget the lime, please). Thanks a bunch. Erin

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Guess the first, second and third rounds will be on me.  ;)

Sounds fair. If it's ok by you, I'll just go ahead and place my order now so it's waiting for me (nice and cold) when I get there at 12:00 on the first day. Here we go:

How bout a Bombay Saphire gin and tonic for the first round followed by two Negra Modelos (extra frosty and don't forget the lime, please). Thanks a bunch. Erin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that mean you are missing half of PCD?

mg

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

The earliest flight I've been able to find in my price range gets me in Madison at 3:30pm on the first day...which is a drag. So, unfortuneately, I would miss PCD.

Truthfully I'm not 100% certain I'll be attending. It's still up in the air. I'll know for sure in the next couple of weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I would hate to miss this conference...and I recommend that any cartographer reading this should make a serious effort to go. You won't regret it. It's the best conference hands down. E

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

IMO Your new boss should spring for the money to get you there on tuesday afternoon.

mg

The earliest flight I've been able to find in my price range gets me in Madison at 3:30pm on the first day...which is a drag. So, unfortuneately, I would miss PCD.

Truthfully I'm not 100% certain I'll be attending. It's still up in the air. I'll know for sure in the next couple of weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I would hate to miss this conference...and I recommend that any cartographer reading this should make a serious effort to go. You won't regret it. It's the best conference hands down. E

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gp1

gp1

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Ok, time to chime in since I'm on the Local Arrangements Committee :ph34r:

Prof. Mark Harrower has provided a nifty restaurant guide (text) which we at XNR Productions hope to incorporate into a simple Capitol Square-State Street-UW map for folks to use.

I understand that Nat Case, Hedberg Maps, might supply their Professor Pathfinder maps of the area as well.

We should have plenty of local/downtown maps on-hand for folks to get around.

:D

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Obviously. My original question, however, was not related to having lots of maps on-hand for folks to use to get around. Rather, it was related to NACIS members/attendees submitting new and different/unique pieces to stand above and beyond 90% of the "typical" stuff that folks can purchase at any local gas station or pick up in a visitor's center. ;)

Folks like XNR and Hedberg do excellent work, so I'll be anxious to see what you come up with for the event. My original point was that at a "mapping" conference, it would be a unique and fun opportunity to really develop some incredible/different imagery of the area we are visiting (with Madison coincidentally being the location of the 2006 event, nothing more). However, the general response/feel I am getting after feeling this thread is that people either don't want to be bothered with that type of request or they are getting their noses a little out of joint from me even asking the question.

I have seen LOTS of "maps as information" pieces for the Madison area (and just about any metro area of the United States), but I guess I was thinking more along the genre of "maps as art" and/or experimental works....such as mapping that models sound.....textures....unique subject matter (not just your run-of-the-mill streets and highways), etc. Far-out stuff.....maps that don't necessarily have a high commercial value, but maps that would "broaden our horizons" or better serve the ADA community, that kind of thing.

Anyway, I'll let the idea die a quiet death, since people don't seem that interested. Like I said in an earlier posting, if one out of ten ideas I have doesn't end up in the recycle bin this week, it's been a good week! :lol:

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Ok, time to chime in since I'm on the Local Arrangements Committee  :ph34r:

Prof. Mark Harrower has provided a nifty restaurant guide (text) which we at XNR Productions hope to incorporate into a simple Capitol Square-State Street-UW map for folks to use.

I understand that Nat Case, Hedberg Maps, might supply their Professor Pathfinder maps of the area as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to confirm, Hedberg Maps is providing our map of Madison to be distributed with conference programs.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->