18 replies to this topic

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

what's ur favorite method for conversion? had to hand-trace some islands, felt like knocking my head on the wall :(

is there any shortcut at all? is R2V any good for contour and shoreline? thx a bunch!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I haven't really looked at the LiveTrace functionality in Illy CS2, but it could be worth a try.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

hand trace with bezier curves (pen tool in illy) is always the best. Live trace is very good, but is automated (of course) so be careful (it is good enough in most cases). You can also hand trace using the pencil tool (in illy) using a tablet, but I haven't had that good experiences with that for maps (think it is better for more freeform illustrations).

My problem is that I haven't yet mastered the bezier curves...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

While very time consuming, I still believe the most accurate method is using a digitizing tablet or heads-up digitizing of a raster image. Raster-to-Vector can help and minimize some of the time, but adding data attributes for complex images can be problematic. Manual digitizing helps to control the topology and attribute information and keeps the user "honest" during the process.

If you need some recommendations for other digitizing or R2V packages, please let me know.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I miss the good old days of actually using computers to draw maps... the creative process has shifted from what was primarily an additive process to a game of deletion and simplification. I rarely feel the same sense of creative ownership on a map when I simply import data files and throw some text around. Too much automation, not enuf art. But I sense those days are slowly disappearing, as I haven't done many scan and trace projects in recent years, outside of historical map projects. Importing existing linework and applying styles seems so... well, easy?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I miss the good old days of actually using computers to draw maps...  the creative process has shifted from what was primarily an additive process to a game of deletion and simplification. I rarely feel the same sense of creative ownership on a map when I simply import data files and throw some text around. Too much automation, not enuf art. But I sense those days are slowly disappearing, as I haven't done many scan and trace projects in recent years, outside of historical map projects. Importing existing linework and applying styles seems so... well, easy?

m.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't miss the days, but it is I think a good process for map-makers to have to go through, like taking basic drawing for an art major, even if you're never going to pick up a stick of charcoal again when you're done.

Then again, I took the last manual cartography class at the University of Minnesota, and I don't miss scribecoat...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

Illy's LiveTrace is basically useless, for map-making anywayz. The traced lines are soooo broken that with the time and effort spent linking them back up, one might as well hand-trace right from the beginning.

Easy Trace is not very good either. The contours seem clunky.

my 2 cents...

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Government agencies derive all of their data by hand-digitizing. Honestly I don't think there is any reliable method for automating this today.
Even DEMs need a lot manual labour.

Thre is a lot of work to be done in terms of mapping the planet, but most of the time noone likes to pay for it.

If anyone knows about automated digitizing, tell me. In the meantime I cling to my belief, that it is impossible to do it economically right now.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

If anyone knows about  automated digitizing, tell me. In the meantime I cling to my belief, that it is impossible to do it economically right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the synonym for automated digitizing is outsourcing.

Working in Maine, we run into a lot of aesthetic issues with Canadian data, especially coastlines and hydro being over-generalized, and the easiest approach is scan and trace... but it's relatively small tasks - nothing a few hours of work can't resolve.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think there will be an automation process that can be created and some creative solutions that can perhaps be used now.

How about LiveTrace + Rick Johnson's Concatenate?

Look at the powerful semi-automatic tracing tools in Photoshop. I wonder if you could use Avenza's Geographic Imager and the magnetic trace tool to create vectors in Photoshop that can then make the traverse into MAPublisher?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

I believe the synonym for automated digitizing is outsourcing.

And as third world countries become even more computer savvy, this will be cheaper than automation for some more years.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

In my experience outsourcing is by far the best cost effective solution for digitization. No client wants to pay me my hourly fee to digitize something so it is always cheaper to farm that stuff out to overseas GIS service providers.

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

yes, I've come to the same conclusion. will recruit a drafter from China to do the work. even at my normal rate, this is not worth pulling my hair out for B)

gorillamap

gorillamap

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure what your goal is with the islands you had to trace, but if you're simply needing to add some color to them you could try the magic wand tool in Photoshop. I've had luck with pulling shorelines from a DEM. Granted, you're not getting vectors from this, but you can load this selection into a new layer, fill it, and basically paint your raster.
Mike Pesses
Antelope Valley College
http://avconline.avc.edu/mpesses

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

I've used the Live Trace with some success, but only with very simple maps that only have rivers and roads with minimal text. But even then, the cleanup was probably only marginally faster than if I had traced it with the pen tool, which I'm pretty good at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->