ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Is it possible to divide an ArcMap layout into seperate printable tiles? This is easy to do in Illustrator, but it would be great if I could do this from Arcmap in the same amount of time.

Would I have to create a seperate data-frame for each tile (Arcmap)?

Is there another way?

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have used the DS Map Book extention several times and I have been very successful with it. It requires a little bit on the set up end but once you get that down it make map tiling very easy!

Information on the extention can be found here:

http://edndoc.esri.c...k/DSMAPBOOK.htm

Rich

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Rich,
Thanks for the link. This looks interesting.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I would add that DSMapbook is the one of the greatest map production tools I have ever used (with respect to productivity). It leads to truly understanding the power of database mapping.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

signo

signo

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, ESRI Software, web services, Triathlon
  • Spain

Hi!
A commercial extension "MapLogic Layout Manager" developed by http://www.maplogic.com. You can download a trial.

Antonio. :ph34r:

Lyn R

Lyn R

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I too have used mapbook, love it, love it. I work on very large area at a time, mostly military installations and this is really a god send.

have fun

lyn

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Erin,

I reread you initial post and then thought you might have been talking about a different solution. Do you want to create say, an E sized map and then tile it into 15 (8x11) pages? If so then I would export a pdf and do it Acrobat.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Hi Erin,

I reread you initial post and then thought you might have been talking about a different solution.  Do you want to create say, an E sized map and then tile it into 15 (8x11) pages?  If so then I would export a pdf and do it Acrobat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt,
Yes, that is somewhat correct. Here's the scoop. We offer cd-rom collections of many of our maps. Basically we take one of our large wall maps i.e 42 X 72 and then rescale and rework the map into large-scale PDF tiles "detailed views" that can be printed 8.5 X 14 (kind-off like turning the entire original map into large scale insets with an individual legend, et cetera). Users can then select an specific section from an interactive view of the entire map, and print only the section they need.

I was asking in the original post is if there is a way to print individual tiles from a layout in Arcmap without having to use Illustrator or Acrobat (or by creating a bunch of different data views in Arcmap). As it stands, Mapublisher and Illustrator are still the best way to go. However, we use ArcMap a lot and plan on it using it even more if the new cartographic features in 9.2 are as cool as they sound.

And to get off topic a bit: I guess what we really need are tools that allow us to adabt our printed maps for cd-rom (at different scales) without having to re-do the lableing work, et cetera.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

And to get off topic a bit: I guess what we really need are tools that allow us to  adabt our printed maps for cd-rom (at different scales) without having to re-do the lableing work, et cetera.

Erin,

I think you are always going to have to rework some of the labeling but there are things you can do in ArcMap to minimize the amount of reworking you will have to do.

In ArcMap you can make sure to create all of your labels in an Annotation Group (Data Frame Properties>>Annotation Groups) with a set Reference Scale. Then if you have to change the scale of your map you can change the reference scale and keep all of the labels at the size you intended.

Rich

MichaelG

MichaelG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Erin,

It is possible to print tiled output from ArcMap. If you have a D-size (22 x 34) layout, and want to print it at original scale on several sheets of letter size (8.5 x 11) paper, you would just need to uncheck the Use Printer Paper Settings checkbox in the Page and Print Setup dialog, select letter size printer paper, and verify the the map page size is still Ansi D. Then close the dialog, open the Print dialog, and select Tile Map to Printer Paper. The procedure is outlined in more detail here:
http://support.esri....l...how&d=25292

This procedure would effectively give you cut tiles, appropriate for re-assembly by taping them together to rebuild a wall map, etc. The most common case for this output workflow is people who need to print a E size or greater wall map but only have a 24-inch wide printer or smaller.

However, if what you really need to do is print a series of letter size pages, each based on an original map but with their own neatline, marginalia, etc., DsMapBook is exactly what you need.

Michael Grossman
ESRI
Michael Grossman
ESRI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->