Maps.com Bryan

Maps.com Bryan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Cartographers,

Hope everyone is well today. Maps.com is offering a new service to cartographers around the world. We have introduced a program called MapMarketplace where cartographers can sell their content online with zero cost and zero risk.

I know many of us have maps that we've created over the years and don't have a steady avenue to bring these maps to consumers. MapMarketplace is your chance. I'm sure you have questions regarding file ownership, our printing process, payment, etc..... Please check out the site for FAQ's and all the other details that you might be curious about:

http://www.maps.com/mdcmp-land.aspx

I think many of you will find this as a great option for getting your content online where map buyers can show you the money.

Good luck!

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Interesting - you are the cafepress.com of the cartographic community!

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Cartographers,

Hope everyone is well today.  Maps.com is offering a new service to cartographers around the world.  We have introduced a program called MapMarketplace where cartographers can sell their content online with zero cost and zero risk.

I note that by our usual use of the word, this program converts content into product: you aren't selling files on line, but printouts of files.

An interesting project, and a good way of getting one-time artwork out there... kind of an on-demand MapLink.

It isn't mentioned in the FAQ, but how do you structure pricing?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Maps.com Bryan

Maps.com Bryan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hello Nat,

To answer a few of your questions: your files can either be offered for download or as you mentioned as prints of your file, that is up to you. I imagine most of the files will be prints of files but if you have maps that are valuable as downloads we can offer that as well.

As far as pricing goes Maps.com sets the price of the product based on map size, and any other additional features (laminated, mounted, etc...) that the consumer may request. Full details of the pricing can be found on the MapMarketplace site. You can see a specific section that covers the pricing structure at:

http://www.maps.com/...ing.aspx?nav=MP

It is also covered in the MapMarketplace Terms and Conditions:

http://dd.maps.com/M...Tool/terms.html

Hope this helps. Have a super weekend!

Bryan@maps.com

embe

embe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Hungary

Hello Bryan,

Can I sell my illustrated map (see topic: Illustrated Map: Artistic City View of Budapest, www.illustratedmap.info) at your market place at maps.com?

Thanks
Bela Magyar

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Bryan,

I think your service is interesting and worth investigating for a lot of freelance cartographers.

The 70 percent take seems a bit on the heavy side. Maybe this is an industry standard... others might want to comment...?

Do you have any plans to regionalize some content e.g. Spanish language site for potential spanish speaking clients seeking spanish content maps... ect..?

Not only do you sell maps... but you offer a large range of cartography and GIS services. Do you also plan to have a MapServiceMarketplace... were reputable service providers could have access to work they would not normally have access to... (food for though only...considering our present work load).

As in every business arrangement, trust is an important factor. Off hand I feel that you business model for MapMarketplace is presented in a trustworthy fashion.
I believe your service will grow in populartity.

Best regards, :)
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Not only do you sell maps... but you offer a large range of cartography and GIS services. Do you also plan to have a MapServiceMarketplace... were reputable service providers could have access to work they would not normally have access to... (food for though only...considering our present work load).

I'll let Bryan give the details on this, but maps.com does have a freelance job-board thingy. I believe there's a post about this in the North American jobs section.

Basically it's small map projects that are being sent to a network of freelancers, who can then bid on them. Maps.com then awards the project to whomever they feel offers the best quality/price.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Brilliant idea. And yes to Hans, maps.com's freelance program seems like a win-win solution. Maps.com also has an affiliate program too - according to their website.

Re: MapMarketplace, I am producing some poster maps of Italy (in Italian, for Italians), so it would be great to have a cost-effective sales solution where I can point people to who want a printed copy. I'll read the terms and conditions, but in case its not stated, I hope maps.com ships internationally.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->