• 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

First off, this is one part of the palette of issues Nathaniel Kelso, Bruce Daniel and I will be leading a panel on at NACIS Practical Cartography Day (plug, plug).

We're in the process of converting all our Freehand files over to Illustrator. Many are the issues, and the one I'm wrestling with now is the disappearance of non-roman characters from fonts in AI CS2.

To use an example, in many of our files we have a few Carta characters. Some of these translate fine going from FH to AI. Others disappear, or are replaced by AI's "no glyph at this character code" placeholder (looks like a semaphore flag, a square cut in half).

The problem seems particularly to be with option and option-shift characters. But we also have some type in a Greek font (for locating frat/sorority houses), from which the characters which are typed in with a regular lower or upper case keystroke have disappeared unpredictably.

Is there a problem with non-roman font sets in AI that I missed somewhere? Do I need to switch to opentype? Help!

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->