• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi,

When exporting from ArcMap to Illustrator
I have been using the clipping masks (which represent the extent of the view) and bookmarks (in ArcMap) as a way to align things in Illustrator, especially when something needs to be revised (and re-imported) or added to a map.

I have been annoyed since these don't always match, the extent rectangle (clipping mask) is dependent on the size of the window/screen, the size of the ToC bar/pane (with the list of layers) etc. If I add another docked toolbar to the view window, then the extent changes...

So here is the tip - use a rectangle (using the drawing tools) in the background instead!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

A methodology I recently started using for preping my GIS data for MapPublisher import goes like so:

1) Figure out extent of map
2) Draw rectangle graphic defining extent area in ArcMap
3) Use XTools to convert graphic to shapefile
4) Use some custom python to batch clip all of my input data datasets to my new extent shapefile
5) Import clipped shapefiles into Illy using MapPublisher, setting them to the extent of the extent rectangle (import that one first)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

If you switch from 'data view' to 'layout view' and keep your page size and extent the same - everything will line-up while using the clipping mask. I will typically change the data frame to a 'fixed extent' to prevent unintended shifts.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->