5 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Does anyone know how to convert shapefiles to mapinfo files? I found an Avenue Script for ArcView 3.x but I can't get it to work. I'm not a scripting man so I have no idea how to write such a script or fix it. Can anyone help me convert five shapefiles to MapInfo? Thanks in advance!

Eric

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Eric,

MapInfo can open Shapefiles so you shouldn't need to convert them! Having said that, this option is only available in the later versions of MI (from v7.5 onwards I think). The other option is to use the Universal Translator tool that MI ships with, which is a cut down version of FME and will do the conversion regardless of MI version.

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Eric,

MapInfo can open Shapefiles so you shouldn't need to convert them!  Having said that, this option is only available in the later versions of MI (from v7.5 onwards I think).  The other option is to use the Universal Translator tool that MI ships with, which is a cut down version of FME and will do the conversion regardless of MI version.

Greg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can anyone tell me what mapinfo is going for US retail? I tried to email them and no one has gotten back to me. I heard it's cheaper than ARCgis desktop.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Eric,
If you have MaPublisher and Illustrator you can export a .tab file as well. If you don't have either application, you can download a trial of each one: www.adobe.com and www.avenza.com respectively.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

can anyone tell me what mapinfo is going for US retail? I tried to email them and no one has gotten back to me. I heard it's cheaper than ARCgis desktop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like $1149 to me. http://www.cmcstore....asp?idproduct=8

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

MapInfo can definitely read/write ESRI shapefiles quick and easy. I do it all the time.

re: more expensive than ArcView. I've been told MIPro is slighly more expensive than Arc, but at the same time it is more powerful out of the box. I've heard it said that by the time you purchase the add-ons and etc to make ArcView equal MI, MI pays for itself. But, full disclosure: I used to work for MapInfo Corp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->