6 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I have a 3d multi patch coverage of building footprints in a geodatabase. does anyone have any experience in getting these into either a dxf, obj, 3ds format? any known coversion workflows?

rj

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

I have a 3d multi patch coverage of building footprints in a geodatabase.  does anyone have any experience in getting these into either a dxf, obj, 3ds format?  any known coversion workflows?

rj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Rob,

What are you using this for? I don't mean to probe, but knowing the final program/use would help. If you're going into something like 3DSMax, I would export a shapefile of the footprint polygons, import it into a CAD program such as Autodesk Map, then save the closed polylines in a DWG file. Then, I'd import it into Max, and apply an extrusion modifier to the geometry.

It'll give you a uniformly extruded and capped 3d object, with no roof detail, but it'll work. There are other ways, but I can't really get into that.

Good Luck,

Andrew Schroeder

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

thanks andrew. my bad for an unthorough first post. The final use will be in VNS or Lightwave to model a city and sealevel change. The multipatch contains significant architectual detail is not just footprints (although it is that too...). Texture is not a big concern right now.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I am thinking that Sketch-Up would be the vehicle you want to use to get the mdb out of Arc and into VNS or LW. You should be able to find the right extensions/scripts/plugins here.

The process would be to export the multipatch out of Arc (I think you'll need 3D Analyst) as an .skp then open that up in Sketch-up and export out as dxf, obj, or 3ds.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

i think the sketchup route could be the best, but I don't own that software. I've managed to go from gdb to shape, and then found a trial version of some software called arcv2cad that created a dwg (at 350mb!!). from there i'll probably try to go dxf to something more 3d app friendly. thanks.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The nice thing about SketchUp is that it is now FREE! They also have a great demo that lasts for many hours if you need the Pro version.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

that is awesome! can't beat free. will have to add to my toolbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->