ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Last week I had the opportunity to go to a seminar presented by Earthdata. They are involved in number of very interesting projects including: ARIES, SIMmetry....plus many others.

Below is a link to the SIMmetry project they are working on. So far they have modeled around 13-15 U.S. cities (completely). It took over four months and 1500 employees to develop a complete GIS model of New York City. The level of queryable detail is incredible....every floor of all major buildings. Integrated digital photographs, et cetera. Really cool.

I'm sure this will be of interest to some of you.
Here's the Link

Their website does not provide a whole lot of info, but I recommend doing a little research on the ARIES and SIMmetry projects.

Hans,
I'm guessing you are already familiar with this project, or similar projects. If I remember correctly you're working a city modeling project of your own.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Erin,

I hadn't heard of this one. For our work in Apeldoorn, we had originally looked at VNS with SceneExpress, which is described here.

Some additional demands, such as more interactivity and a server-based solution for online use, prompted the move to Virtuocity, a platform developed by Eindhoven Technical University. It involves modelling every building in the project area in 3D Studio Max, which is what I'm working on right now.

I'm not sure whether I can already show screenshots of the project. I'll check and post some if it's okay. Not really cartography, but pretty cool nonetheless.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure whether I can already show screenshots of the project. I'll check and post some if it's okay. Not really cartography, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Hans,
If you can it we be great to see some screenshots of what you are working on. But it you cant, I understand. This type of work is really facsinating to me. I'm hoping that at some point in the future I have the opportunity to play around with programs like 3D Studio Max... erin

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Four or five years ago Geodetic Institute developed a 3D model of capital city of Slovenia - Ljubljana. It consists of approx. 80000 3D modeled objects that was rendered on dual computer configuration. Each computer drives two projectors (refreshing problems) so it was posible to view and interact the model in 3D. Buildings were not textured, but some like main church were completely textured even inside. It was really impresive and I wonder where is this computer installation now.

Lui

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Netherlands

Lui,

I take it every building was modelled separately. How much detail was used for the 'normal' buildings?
Red Geographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

How long has 3D city modeling been integrated with GIS?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Netherlands

I'm not sure. I've seen some examples from about 4-5 years ago, which would make them about as old as the one Lui mentioned.

I think it's been going on for quite a while, but only now does the available hardware really make it possible to set up larger and more detailed models. Textures can take up a lot of memory.

Maybe the answer is somewhere here...
Red Geographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

nice. honolulu recently developed a 3d model of waikiki and the surrounding biz district much like that. Was developed by USInfrastructure, they used a custom 3d max plugin to quickly draw the models from orthorectified photos, textured the models with the photos, and then linked them with a geodatabase for full gis query/spatial functionality. A quick search didn't turn up a cool link, but I'm guessing this type of thing is happening all over....

rj

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I'm hoping that at some point in the future I have the opportunity to play around with programs like 3D Studio Max...

Erin,

If you're interested in 3D design, check out Lightwave too. They usually offer a great student license rate (~$250 from Safe Harbor) and from my reseach it's pretty much top of the game. I don't have any experience with Max, and only limited use of LW. LW goes deep, but I've made some cool animations in a couple of hours too. After learning WCS/VNS I thought they were complex (which they are...), but LW (as well as 3DMax I'd assume) dives deeper. Cool stuff, but pretty steep on the learning curve. Dan Ablan has a great book for LW. But I guess that's why when you see some of their finished products it just blows one away....

rj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->