4 replies to this topic

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I'm trying to learn MP for Illy CS on WinXP. My question is how do you define a map area, say a rectangle of a specific size/area. My GIS datasets cover large geographic areas (many states) and I want to zoom into certain areas for my maps. I cant seem to figure out how to do this...any tips? I'm making maps for powerpoint slides, so my doc size is about 15 X 6, then I export to jpeg @ 300 dpi. I've done this in the past by exporting from ArcMap to Illy, then doing everything in Illy. I'm trying to test cutting out using ArcMap, because some of my exported layers from ArcMap end up being huge and cause Illy to take 20 minutes to save the file, whereas with MP, they save instantly. Any help is appreciated.

chad!

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

1: Set up your Illustrator document to be the size of the final map.
2: Import data, let MAPublisher scale it to fit the page.
3: Remove the stuff you don't want
4: Edit the Map View and again let it scale to fit (or set it to a specific scale).

Personally, I clip out the area of interest using FME or Manifold before importing it into MAPublisher, it's a bit more convenient that way.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Hans...thanks for th reply. Thats what I was afraid of. Looks like clipping prior to import via MP is going to have to be the way to for me. Luckily, I think I can automate the clip with some good ole' python. Thanks again.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

You don't necessarily need to clip or delete outside data. Just redefine your scale in edit MapView. Let the unneeded data run outside your defined print area. A quick mask will make it hidden, or even marquee the area you want, reverse selection and hide. Obviously if you need to reduce the file size due to large amounts of data then the delete approach is best.
Rick Dey

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I've tried the mask route, but then I have ALOT of data masked, but those are good methods also. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->