• United States

""

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Could you perhaps explain a bit more detailed what this service is about?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hey Jordan - thanks for the post (give at least 3 days for cartotalk folk to tune in)

At first glance, the concept sounds great. As far as downloading data goes, I only collect data from its originator (quality control etc.), so if there are links to metadata and originator reference, etc., that would be peachy. Else, it would be great to share custom GIS layers, buyer beware etc.

I havn't tooled around too much yet as far as crating account but will do so soon.

Check back in a few days for more feedback.

Chris

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

i will check this out and let you know what I think, but I will not create my own login to do so. just ain't worth it. perhaps you can post a temporary one on this board that people can use to check it out.

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

joran, i was the other one who you upgraded to pro.

i first checked this out several days ago.... all i got was a blank gray screen. today i realized you had to turn on the layers in order to get a picture. i would suggest at least one layer be automatically turned on (national boundaries for instance).

before i was pro, i didn't really see much use to it. if, however, there were user-submitted/freely-available datasets other than the three you have included... well then i would have found it more interesting on a "free" account.

now that you've given me pro... i imported a basic point shapefile, that worked well! i was pleasantly surprised. i haven't tried polygons yet.

as for the GUI, i would like to see click-drag on the large screen (kind of hard to click-drag around NYC on the inset world map!). maybe this is not a possibility, i see right now the click-drag does a zoom automatically on the large screen.

another GUI comment, wish i was able to re-order the layers without backing out and going to "info" link.

finally... i'm not really a pro user :) so i can't really speak for pro's, but i am a gis consultant (with limited experience and only a few clients under my belt). i can see several uses for this application as long as it included shapefile importing. for instance, my clients who don't have a copy of ArcGIS or don't have the expertise to load ArcExplorer... this would be nice to set up a "live" demo for them, to see all the layers a GIS consultant is working with, let them play with turning things on and off... that is the one thing that came to my mind right away. however, i personally could never afford to pay $250/year for this capability. but who knows, maybe it is worth that!

sorry this is all just a rush stream of consciousness, but otherwise i wouldn't get around to commenting!

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

the GUI could be better. it's a pain to go back & forth when u load data and try to c the effect.
w/ 250+, one can always get a copy of Manifold, which does all ur function and more...

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the upgrade to Pro -

Because I am report I had nothing to upload but could have a few thoughts in my ues of the service:

Novel idea - would be useful to set this up with one of my clients to walk through scenarios - some of my projects involve figuring out which data will help us solve certain problems.

I did this a few times with GE where I set up a project on my server and clients logged on and we video conferenced the meeting.

I think the GUI was fine, it will evolve, but the homepage could be more friendly and explanative.

Go for it! Chris

joran

joran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

""

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->