4 replies to this topic

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have been using ArcMap->Adobe Illustrator->Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady for making maps for the web for several years now. This combination has been effective for everything I have needed so far and I will likely continue with this workflow because I am used to it.

There are two folks working over here at the same company who have been using ArcMap and Illustrator for several years to make maps for print publications. Recently the need has rose for them to make maps for the web.

I know folks use ArcMap->Freehand->Fireworks or ArcMap->Fireworks workflows for making maps for the web. I am wondering about the opinions of other cartographers on this.

If you were starting out today making maps for the web would you use the ArcMap->Illustrator->Photoshop/ImageReady workflow or the ArcMap->Freehand->Fireworks workflow. I'd like to hear responses based on the perceived usability and efficiency of each of the work flows. I am also curious to hear opinions about the future of workflows considering Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia.

Thanks!!!

Rich

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Rich,

I am sure there are others on this board who can post more detailed information concerning Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia, but I think Freehand is dying right now. I would be reticent to suggest anyone starting out to include Freehand in their workflow right now (at least for the long term implications).

I am not too sure what Adobe's plans are for Fireworks - but it seems likely they will offer a strategic web workflow that involves Illustrator and Photoshop and incorporates Macromedia's (web)technology.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I agree with Matthew, the outlook for Freehand right now isn't very good. I would strongly recommend the Illustrator/Photoshop way for the moment.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the responses so far! Does anyone here go from ArcMap directly to Fireworks? Does that work out well for you?

Rich

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rich,
At this point, I would stick with exporting your web graphics from Illustrator... even though Fireworks is my preferred web output program. I only say this because if you are going to be spending most of your time in working in Illustrator, you will benefit more by learning all of the aspects of the program. And besides, both programs are very similiar in terms of creating, optimizing, and saving web out-put. If you learn one, you can understand the other one. You can always bring in Fireworks if Illustrator can't do what you need it to.

Also, there may come a time when you start using a plug-in like MaPublisher with Illustrator....and exporting directly to the web from Illy will be your fastest option.

If you are going to be creating Flash content, then do yourself a favor and become proficient in creating web-content in both Illustrator and Fireworks. Illustrator CS2 has some nice features for exporting .swf files into Flash, but Fireworks is designed to work directly with Flash through shared libraries, editing Fireworks files within Flash, et cetera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->