1 reply to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

This is really going to make me out to be a dunce but I am blanking on the process for projecting, reprojecting, and defining projections for shapefiles. I've been using the tools in the Toolbox associated with these functions but I think I'm missing a step and I can't figure out what it is. I have two shapefiles. The first has this projected coordinate system: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Michigan_South_FIPS_2113_Feet as well as the following projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic. The second shapefile has no coordinate system or projection. How do I project, reproject, or define the projection for the second shapefile so that it matches that of the first? I've tried all morning to get them to align but every time I try any of the tools in the Toolbox related to Projections, it doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The second shapefile has no coordinate system or projection.

Therein lies the problem.

You need to find out how the second shapefile is projected in order for Arc to either "re-project on the fly" or for you to re-project using the toolbox. The steps would be to "Define Projection" of the second shape using the toolbox, then you could project it to match the first.

Have you tried to define the second projection to be the same as the first and cross your fingers? What level of functionality are you using (Info, Editor, Arcview)?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->