• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites & kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

I'm putting together a world physical map and I am looking for the highest resolution data set available. this is the best that i've found so far is from: http://www.mapmart.com/DEM/DEM.htm (their SRTM-90 3" or 90 Meters set). the problem is that this is only from
57 South Latitude to 61 North Latitude...another words no Northern Alaska or Santa's house. Any suggestion on where to purchase a better set would be great!
Thanks,
J

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

i'm looking for the highest resolustion worldwide DEM data set possible. this is the best that i've found so far: http://www.mapmart.com/DEM/DEM.htm (their SRTM-90 3" or 90 Meters set). the problem is that this is only from 57 South Latitude to 61 North Latitude...in other words no N.Alaska or Santa's house. Any ideas of a complete worldwide set?
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Is this what you would be looking for?

http://www.geotorren...tails.php?id=40

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

I usually use ETOPO2:

http://www.ngdc.noaa...rs/01mgg04.html

http://www.ngdc.noaa.../relief/ETOPO2/

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

I'm putting together a world physical map and I am looking for the highest resolution data set available. this is the best that i've found so far is from: http://www.mapmart.com/DEM/DEM.htm  (their SRTM-90  3" or 90 Meters set). the problem is that this is only from
57 South Latitude to 61 North Latitude...another words no Northern Alaska or Santa's house. Any suggestion on where to purchase a better set would be great!
Thanks,
J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've merged the other thread on this topic into this one.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Is there some kind of cartographic scavenger hunt going on? :)
2 people looking for the best DEM data for the entire world at nearly the same time. For the scale of world maps (unless they are going to be huge) the readily available data already mentioned are fine.
There is also Tom Patterson's natural earth data. All set to go, with Tom's usual high quality. :) It's not just the landcover data either. He has gray-scale shaded relief, too (among other data). No dems as far as I can find, though (hint, hint, Tom ;) ).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

Actually, Tom also did CleanTopo2, which includes bathymetry. Well worth checking out. It's available as a greyscale tiff, but if somebody is interested, I can get you a set of VNS .elev files of this as well. Just PM me.
Red Geographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Actually, Tom also did CleanTopo2, which includes bathymetry. Well worth checking out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

D'oh! You're right, Hans. I had forgotten about that, but now that you point it out I do remember looking at it before. Tom has a wealth of cool and useful stuff on-line!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites &amp; kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

"For the scale of world maps (unless they are going to be huge) the readily available data already mentioned are fine"

I'm looking to make a wall size map....A BIG wall with the highest resolution shaded relief possible.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

How big is big? :D

And, more importantly, from what distance will it be viewed? Wall maps are generally viewed from a distance of several feet, in which case you can often get away with using a lower resolution.

CleanTopo2 is listed as 10,800 x 5,400 pixels. At 300dpi that would be 36x18 inches. Go down to 150dpi and you'll have 72x36 inches.

NaturalEarth at full resolution is 32400x16200 pixels. 'Print the world 5.5 meters- (18 feet-) wide at 150 DPI', as Tom says :D
Red Geographics

ESRI Doc

ESRI Doc

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Yeah, geotorrent is a great resource.

And what would be do without the contributions of Tommy P?

doc
Richard McCord, PhD
ESA Associates

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I don't know anyone who views a wall map from several feet. Maybe if you are talking about something really big that is meant to be viewed from the distance, like in the museum where there is barrier to prevent you from getting too close. Or maybe a poster type of map somewhere on the building that has vary little detail. Most people walk up to a wall map within one foot. I always watch other people when the view maps to see what they are looking for and how they read the map. I would say 95% will touch the map with their finger by pointing to something. We had some glass incased maps at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and the glass had to be cleaned every day from the hundreds of finger prints. We had plenty of wall maps at my work walls and those are always view from less then a foot and for that printing anything in less than 300dpi looks really bad. The Catskill Map I did that was 8 feet wide was 29,500 pixels wide and at that resolution, you could see some spots being pixalized.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

I don't know anyone who views a wall map from several feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Students sitting in the back of the classroom... ;)
Red Geographics

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Perfect example. They are forced to view it from the distance. Plus most kids are not into maps and those that are, will end up on this forum in few years. I'm talking about general public with a wall map displayed in general public place. Here in the Catskills and Adirondacks there is planty of wall maps in the kiosks and those are always viewed up close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->