4 replies to this topic

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I am currently using both Adobe Illustrator 10 and Adobe Illustrator CS. I use AI 10 most often because the new text engine in CS mangles my text. My general work flow is to export my projects from ArcMap in a 75% complete form to AI 10. For larger projects I then bring everything in AI CS.

I have a few questions:

1) Are there any issues in upgrading between Adobe Illustrator CS and Adobe Illustrator CS2?

2) I have heard that Adobe Illustrator CS2 handles ArcMap exports much better than Adobe Illustrator CS. Is this true?

3) Are there any other pitfall I should look out for if I upgrade to Adobe Illustrator CS2

4) Can you run Adobe Illustrator CS and Adobe Illustrator CS2 side by side on the same machine like you can with Adobe Illustrator 10 and CS?

Thanks for your help

Rich

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

1) Are there any issues in upgrading between Adobe Illustrator CS and Adobe Illustrator CS2?

I didn't have any.

2) I have heard that Adobe Illustrator CS2 handles ArcMap exports much better than Adobe Illustrator CS. Is this true?

That's hard to say. I think it's true as I have had fewer problems with CS2, but there are lots of other variables to account for in the export process.

4) Can you run Adobe Illustrator CS and Adobe Illustrator CS2 side by side on the same machine like you can with Adobe Illustrator 10 and CS?

It has been my experience that a CS2 upgrade writes over the top of CS and that using them side by side is not an option. I am not 100% this is the case if you try a clean install of CS2 - but Adobe is getting more sophisticated with their software detection during installations.

The "legacy font" issue is still hovering over you if you switch b/w 10 and CS2 - but no more so than CS.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

You can run CS and CS2 side by side for all the Adobe products. I do it often.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

All three can run concurrent. Additionally with the new version of MAPublisher you can run version 6.2 in AI10 while running version 7 in CS2. The files cannot be interchanged with attributes intact but for various reasons you can use both.

If only there was a reasonable way to keep that type engine in CS from destroying your type now. We are now converting all type to outline before sending any projects to outside licensees since we never know what versions they may use when working with our files.

EDIT: You can bring MAPublisher 6 files into V7, it will convert and retain all attributes. You just can't go the other way.
Rick Dey

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

All three can run concurrent. Additionally with the new version of MAPublisher you can run version 6.2 in AI10 while running version 7 in CS2.  The files cannot be interchanged with attributes intact but for various reasons you can use both. 

If only there was a reasonable way to keep that type engine in CS from destroying your type now.  We are now converting all type to outline before sending any projects to outside licensees since we never know what versions they may use when working with our files.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always maintain two versions of my Adobe Illustrator files. One with the type converted to outlines and one with type still intact. I only send out the files with the outlined fonts as well. Saves lots of problems this way.

I really wish ArcMap's Illustrator Export didn't do such a pathetic job on its 'Convert Marker Symbol to Polygon' function. The way it is now it is almost not usable.

Hopefully ArcGIS 9.2 will be able to create exports that are compatible with the Ilustrator CS text engine.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->