• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Astronomy, Photography, Orienteering, Shell Scripting
  • United States

I just discovered CartoTalk while searching for information on freelancing.

I am now in a career transition to cartography, recently GIS Certified at Cal State Northridge. I have been in the motion picture industry for 12 years, but hopefully networking with people here can cushion the blow that the real world has to offer.

Hope to see you soon in the forums.

toddao

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Hi Toddao...welcome to the forum!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Toddao,

Maybe your experience with the motion picture industry can help with aspects of map animation. I think it is an interesting aspect of cartography that is somewhat nascent.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

C.Mugnier

C.Mugnier

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

When I got out of the service in the early 1970s, I worked as a Photogrammetrist for the Autometric Operation that was owned at the time by Raytheon.

The Autometric Operation was originally formed from the "Paramount News Company" that used to provide New Clips to movie theaters in the 1950s. When TV got popular in most homes in the early 1960s and there was little interest in news clips at the movies, they got out of the news business and started writing software for the Spy Satellite program (Corona Program).

Autometric is now owned by Boeing, and they're back to doing spook stuff.

Cliff Mugnier
LSU

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

C.Mugnier: Very interesting! Welcome aboard!
toddao: I?d also love to hear about your motion picture experiences. Welcome to CartoTalk.

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Hi Toddao,

Maybe your experience with the motion picture industry can help with aspects of map animation.  I think it is an interesting aspect of cartography that is somewhat nascent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An animator friend of mine suggested landscape animation, which has been done - Dr. William Bowen of CSU Northridge has a site at http://130.166.124.2/movies2.htm , but I think advances in software can make these movies far more realistic.

I am looking forward to tossing ideas around here.

ToddAO

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

When I got out of the service in the early 1970s, I worked as a Photogrammetrist for the Autometric Operation that was owned at the time by Raytheon.

The Autometric Operation was originally formed from the "Paramount News Company" that used to provide New Clips to movie theaters in the 1950s. When TV got popular in most homes in the early 1960s and there was little interest in news clips at the movies, they got out of the news business and started writing software for the Spy Satellite program (Corona Program).

Cliff Mugnier
LSU

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's fascinating the many connections that the motion picture industry has to remote sensing in particular. The ties to photography and digital imaging are apparent with the Kodak company who manufactures not only every kind of photographic film, but also very large satellite CCDs.

Was that Raytheon in Burbank?

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

Welcome aboard.

While at CSUN did you happen to run into Elliot McIntire? That's my dad.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

C.Mugnier

C.Mugnier

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Cliff Mugnier
LSU

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's fascinating the many connections that the motion picture industry has to remote sensing in particular. The ties to photography and digital imaging are apparent with the Kodak company who manufactures not only every kind of photographic film, but also very large satellite CCDs.

Was that Raytheon in Burbank?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. Raytheon in Wayland, MA (suburb of Boston).

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Welcome to the group,

As a fellow CSUN graduate it's good to hear from another that the program continues. Although my time was 30 years ago, most everyone I knew there is retired now (Dr. Bowen is still hanging around as an emeritus?) Gene Turner, Bob Provin, and Michael Swift are still there aren't they?

We look forward to your input, and hey if you can make it, join us at NACIS.
Rick Dey

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Welcome aboard. 

While at CSUN did you happen to run into Elliot McIntire?  That's my dad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Small world indeed.

No. I'm afraid I didn't get much of a chance to see any of the Emiritus Faculty. Dr. Bowen was mentioned quite a bit while I was there, but I never saw him at any of the department events.

So you grew up in the Valley?

toddao

toddao

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Welcome to the group,

As a fellow CSUN graduate it's good to hear from another that the program continues.  Although my time was 30 years ago, most everyone I knew there is retired now (Dr. Bowen is still hanging around as an emeritus?) Gene Turner, Bob Provin, and Michael Swift are still there aren't they?

We look forward to your input, and hey if you can make it, join us at NACIS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dr. Turner is still there. Not sure of Michael Swift, but Bob Provin moved on before I arrived. David Deis is passing on his experience (some Provin school, some his own) to the next generation of cartographers.

I plan on joining NACIS after I have relocated (maybe back to Northern California) - so I should be able to make the shindig in October.

ToddAO

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

So you grew up in the Valley?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. I was even the right age to be a "Valley Boy", going back to the Zappa song "Valley Girl" (gag me with a spoon!), but I didn't hang out at the Galleria.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • United States

After that NJ lovefest a while back (just kidding, guys :P ) it's nice to see there is a good-sized California contingent here, too. :D
Dave (not from "the Valley", but aside from a brief sojourn at Penn State southern Californian born and raised B) )
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->