3 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I haven't dabbled in creating web content for a number of years now, and am wondering if am still restricted to the hex color palette in html? What about flash?

hope this inquiry doesn't date me too much, b/c i'm really not that old...lol

tia,

rj

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Not sure what your question is rob, yes you can still use hex color palette for specifying HTML colors, and obviously that gives you the most control... 256 options per R, G and B. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see it as a restriction... that gives you 16 million colors, how many more do you need? ;)

True it is a pain, but there are many helpful tools/websites for choosing hex codes though.

I haven't dabbled in creating web content for a number of years now, and am wondering if am still restricted to the hex color palette in html?  What about flash?

hope this inquiry doesn't date me too much, b/c i'm really not that old...lol

tia,

rj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I guess that wasn't clear.

this:

Web Safe Colors
A few years ago, when most computers supported only 256 different colors, a list of 216 Web Safe Colors was suggested as a Web standard. The reason for this was that the Microsoft and Mac operating system used 40 different "reserved" fixed system colors (about 20 each).

We are not sure how important this is now, since more and more computers are equipped with the ability to display millions of different colors, but the choice is left to you.

from here

PS had that Only Web Colors check box in the color picker to make this easy. What I'm curious about is if I still need to be restricted to this palette from a design perspective or if that is just history. I guess it seems like history.... no?

oh, and 16 million should be enough....

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I don't know if we have to be as careful as we used to be by limiting ourselves to using only 216 web safe colors or 255, but just to be safe, I aways use the "Save for Web" dialog in Illustrator or Photoshop or Fireworks and go with the 255...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->