GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

I'm currently evaluating different GPS units to compliment my GIS/cartography work. Has anyone used the Thales MobileMapper or Trimble GeoMapper units? Thales has a great price point, but Trimble seems to be the industry leader. Both offer ArcPad solutions, which would be definite plus.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I use Thales, with a third party external antenna. Very good package, have not used the CE unit with built in arcpad but have used the mobile mapper with my HP palm pilot running arcpad with great success. If working in remote areas for long period of times the earlier mobile mapper is both very rugged and works on AA batteries as oppose to harder to charge battery packs which require access to a standard power supply or large arrays of solar panels (and sun). I prefer the reliability of a AA setup.

Have done field work in Grand Teton and Peru with this setup and it has been quite good.

mg

rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Here at work we have to MobileMapper's and one MobileMapper CE. They all work very well. We bought the MobileMapper's because at that point Trimble didn't really have a competitve product to it. We were impressed enough with them to buy the MobileMapper CE running ArcPad. Previous to these purchases, we were a 100% Trimble shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->