8 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Ok, this is the strangest thing and I have no idea what is causing it. I ahve a parcel polygon file of a township I am a consultant for. I load the shapefile into ArcMap and it zoomed to the full extent. As soon as I use the zoom tool and zoom into an area, random parcels disappear!! I zoom back to full extent and they are all there, then I zoom to any part on the screen and they randomly disappear giving me "holes" in my parcel file. It sucks. Has anyone ever experienced this or know why this happens? Thanks.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Yes I have had a similar experience with a USA state boundaries file. In mine, almost all of them would only display at one zoom level. I think there could be several causes - A) your file itself is messed up, B) the graphic rendering engine in ArcGIS is messed up (don't just try refreshing, try switching from layout to data mode), or C) the parcels are actually still there, just not displaying.

Why don't you attach the file and I'll see if the same happens to me?

Ok, this is the strangest thing and I have no idea what is causing it.  I ahve a parcel polygon file of a township I am a consultant for.  I load the shapefile into ArcMap and it zoomed to the full extent.  As soon as I use the zoom tool and zoom into an area, random parcels disappear!!  I zoom back to full extent and they are all there, then I zoom to any part on the screen and they randomly disappear giving me "holes" in my parcel file.  It sucks.  Has anyone ever experienced this or know why this happens?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

is it a shape-file? It could be that the spatial index is out of sync.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I'm not completely sure but it sounds like you have some 'Scale-Dependent' rendering going on. In ArcMap in the table of contents right click on the layer that is giving you problems and select 'properties'. In the properties dialog under the 'General' tab make sure the 'Scale Range' is set to 'Show layer at all scales'.

Hope this helps.

Rich

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I checked the scale range of the shapefile and its not a rending at a particular scale issue. For some reason I can't attach the zip file even though my Global Limit says unlimited space. If someone knows why I can't, or if you want to take a look at the file, PM me and I'll send it to you that way. Thanks.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Does this happen with this data in all maps? Try it out in a new otherwise empty map.
I would try recreating the spatial index and then maybe repair geometry.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

i've had this happen before. I think my fix was to create a new/empty poly shapefile, starting editing, selection in the table all the polys from the bad file, copy, and paste into the new file. post if that works, it's been a while since i've seen that problem.

rob

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Has anyone ever experienced this or know why this happens?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like a corrupt file to me. I've had this happen before (many times) when I used to export .shp files from Autodesk drawings. Maybe a glitchy network connection is to blame? I usually ended up re-exporting and everything worked fine after a try or two. If you have access to a fresh file then I would scrap the one your working on and start over.

If you've put in a ton of work already, try Rob's suggestion.

You could also try exporting the .shp as a Feature class and run the "Check Geometry" in ArcToolbox (as stated by DaveB): Data Management - Features - Check Geometry....and then try repairing the geometry if a problem is found.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I agree with Robs suggestion. Try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->