3 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi all,

We are currently moving from a Microstation production environment to an Arc based workflow. Am currently helping to recreate one of our recreation map series in Arc and we are having trouble with the symbols for point features, and patterns for area features.

Point Symbols -
Have been told we can only use raster symbols for these or fonts as symbols. Is there a way to create a symbol library of vector symbols which can have more than one colour for each symbol? Similar to Illustrator symbols, don't need anything fancy like gradients or transparency just differnt coloured objects within the symbol - think highway shields, logos etc. Obviously a font as a symbol can't do this so we are currently layering different glyphs to create different 'layers' of the symbols - def not a very nice solution.

Area Patterns -
Same issue. Can use a few basic vector fills and random fills but would be nice to be able to spec a custom vector fill similar to the way Illy can. Am currently giving these area a coustom colour and using an action within Illustartor to fill the objects with that colour with an Illustrator pattern.

Look forward to any feedback to point me in the right direction. Interested to know if this is possible - would think it would be.

Thanks,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Hi all,

We are currently moving from a Microstation production environment to an Arc based workflow. Am currently helping to recreate one of our recreation map series in Arc and we are having trouble with the symbols for point features, and patterns for area features.

Point Symbols -
Have been told we can only use raster symbols for these or fonts as symbols. Is there a way to create a symbol library of vector symbols which can have more than one colour for each symbol? Similar to Illustrator symbols, don't need anything fancy like gradients or transparency just differnt coloured objects within the symbol - think highway shields, logos etc. Obviously a font as a symbol can't do this so we are currently layering different glyphs to create different 'layers' of the symbols - def not a very nice solution.

Area Patterns -
Same issue. Can use a few basic vector fills and random fills but would be nice to be able to spec a custom vector fill similar to the way Illy can. Am currently giving these area a coustom colour and using an action within Illustartor to fill the objects with that colour with an Illustrator pattern.

Look forward to any feedback to point me in the right direction. Interested to know if this is possible - would think it would be.

Thanks,

Sam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is your workflow from Arc before going to press ? Are you going to export to EPS or PDF files.

I think the easiest is to replace symbols and fills using illustrator as an additional post-export step and to have illustrator based symbol libraries for that purpose. I would build transparent features and add raster layers in that step as well. There are some scripts that will find and convert objects to symbols very easily and of course converting objects from one fill to another is quite simple. so it sounds to me like you are the right track.

You may also want to invest in a copy of fontographer or other font creation (fontlab) software so that you can create your own font based symbols from eps or illustrator files. That would be a very easy solution to the point symbol problem. you will also greatly enjoy delving into the dark arts of fontography...

I definitely remember bringing in custom symbols into arc but would no longer consider doing so as I find it much easier to export a rough layout to the Illustrator format and do all my finishing work with that software. Typography is also much easier to control and deal with.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have never experimented with the area patterns but I have had luck with creating vector point symbols although the process in convuluted.

First create your symbol Illustrator and export it as an EMF file. Then you can add it to your styles in ArcMap using the Style Manager.

In ArcMap:

Select Tools>Styles>Style Manager...

Select Styles>Create New... (Navigate to where you want your new style file created)

Your new style will be referenced on the left side of the style manager. Select the plus sign next to the new style to expand its folder.

Select the Marker Symbol folder

Right click in the white area to the right. Select New>Marker Symbol...

In the next dialog under Type Select Picture Marker Symbol

In the file dialog box change 'files of type' to EMF and navaigate to where you exported the EMF file from illustrator.

Thats it a little convuluted but works. I am guessing you could probably do a similiar thing for fills but I have never experimented with it.

Rich

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

I am guessing you could probably do a similiar thing for fills but I have never experimented with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, in ArcMap you can use emfs for picture markers and picture fills, same as bmps (just make sure you select emfs from the file type list when browsing for the pictures).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->