jessz

jessz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United States

Hi there,

I've been reading this site for months now, so I finally decided to join. I'm a graphic designer in my "day job" (the usual marketing-type stuff, plus a LOT of book layouts--"grunt" work, really), and I'm trying to make a go of a freelance map business. I've always really liked maps, and have been creating them for clients here and there for about 15 years. Like some others here, I have no formal cartographic or GIS training (my educational background is in world politics), but I have been able to teach myself the basics over the past few years, primarily working with MAPublisher, ArcView, and by reading a lot on the web.

I'm currently working on a website for my map business and should have it up in another month or so.

That's all for now - I'm glad to be a member of such a great community.

Jess Z.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hi Jess, I hope to follow in your footsteps some day. Despite majoring in geography, I received very little map training (in fact, only one cartography class). My day job is IT, and while I doubt I will ever fully give it up, I'd love to be able to make my day job maps, and my side job IT :)

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to CartoTalk! :)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Jess,

Glad to have you here at Cartotalk. Do you work for a book publisher? It is great to have mapmakers who come from design backgrounds - it is my perception that they make better maps than those who come from a GIS (data) background.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->