• 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've been meaning to go look at Carto-talk for a while--for sure since NACIS last fall--but things are busy enough, all I need is another forum/email list. I've been active for a while on the map-mac list, and on carto-soc (the forum for the UK equivalent of NACIS), and lurk mostly on MAPS-L.

Anyway, I recognize a lot of familiar "faces." Looking forward to more time in the critique sections... I haven't found anyone talking about theory/philosophy of maps. I'm particularly interested at the moment in the ontology of maps: what exactly do we mean by the term, what "territory" does "map" cover.

I'm co-founder and head of production for Hedberg Maps (link in the signature below). We do a lot of different things. Probably the biggest foci now are navigational maps for Minnesota and the upper Midwest; locator maps for higher education (i.e. where ARE all the Division I men's basketball teams?);and continuing miscellaneous custom work. Right now I'm working on a building-level map of central New Orleans. Fieldwork scheduled for early August. Yippee.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Good to have you on-board here with CartoTalk, Nat! It's ALWAYS good to see more folks from Minnesota cruising these boards..... B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hi Nat, welcome... I'll be happy to put on my theoretical cap and discuss map ontology anytime! One of my last geography research papers at undergrad (only recently graduated) examined a physical location on my college campus from a theoretical feminist perspective, using Gillian Rose's concept of paradoxical space. Actually, I guess it wasn't really related to maps... just theoretical geography and the concept of space. But anyway I'd be interested in applying that to maps as well :)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome Nat! It is great to have your critical eye on these forums. I welcome a more theoretical conversation on Map ontology (ontogeny too!).

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

JB Krygier

JB Krygier

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I welcome a more theoretical conversation on Map ontology (ontogeny too!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe CartoTalk needs a "map theories" forum?

john k.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->